PDA

View Full Version : Help on the road

4inchsnappy
07-14-2006, 09:15
Hello-

I,m on the road, learning my engine, I've got a knew rythmick clicking comeing from the pulley under the ac on my 95 6.5 sub. looks like an air pump, can i continue on the road? or will the pulley freeze and jump the serpentine belt....part numbers? good diesel mechanics in minneapols?

Thanks

john8662
07-14-2006, 09:23
vacuum pump sounds to be going south (if it isn't crank pulley as well).

You could keep driving it, most make noises when they've gone bad, but rarely lock up and throw the belt...

farmboy1989
07-14-2006, 10:34
If the vaccum pump is bad wont he also have lack of boost ? So I would watch for excessive black smoke and the Sub being very "doggy".

4inchsnappy
07-14-2006, 11:29
I beleve the previous onwner installed a manuel waste gate, I read this on another thread could I do this? Does the vaccum pump run other Stuff?

"Another option is too get a TurboMaster or someother manual waste gate controller and dump the pump and put a '93 belt on. Then you have NO MORE vaccum system problems!"

chickenhunterbob
07-14-2006, 12:14
Yes they do lock up, mine did today at about 11:30 AM in fact. Not far from NAPA, so I'm 235.00 poorer, but an easy job to replace.

It started squeaking on Monday, and really howling this morning.

If your suburban is an L65, which I think most are, and you have a turbo-master type of boose controller then you can do without the vacuum pump altogether, no EGR stuff.

You will need to remove the pump and get a shorter belt, so far as I know, many have done just that.

JoeyD
07-14-2006, 13:21
My pulley broke off the vac pump. The pump was fine though but changed it out anyways.