PDA

View Full Version : Leak at front of turbo 400 ?

darkroad
07-13-2006, 19:26
The turbo 400 in my 1990 v2500 suburban has started leaking about a month ago. It has been getting worse. Looks like the front seal as it is leaking out of the aluminium cover drain hole. My question is this? I am in the process of getting all my things together to do a 700r4 conversion. I have a 1990 gas doner suburban that has everything but the transmssion. Got the driveshafts, transfer case, shifters and other misc items. I used the transmission in my 1992 but I do have the 1992 that I am going to send out and get rebuit. It is the K case.

What I was wondering is this, I need to get about three more months out of this trans. it still runs well but is leaking. Whats the odds that I can replace the seal and front bushing and nurse this along. Maybe add a big trans cooler. I do have a spin on filter kit and trans temp guage that I need to install. In about three weeks I am doing some engine work. New heads, bolts and gaskets, 4911 IP pump 6.5 turbo injectors, timing gears, hi output waterpump , banks turbo kit. We are going on vacation the end of August. From central KY to the outer banks. Going thru West VA and VA so there are some hills. I will be pulling an empty 18 drop tail trailer and my wife will be driving the 1992 K1500 suburban. I won't be ready for another three months to tackle the trans swap.

Anyone had any luck with doing this as a short term cure. I hate to buy a rebuilt trans and then replace it a few months later. I have also been on the other end . Smoked a 700r4 towing a trailer with a blazer the same route about 4 years ago. Had a crack in the flare on one of the trans lines. Rental and trans ran me about 3K. I did limp from WV to Nags Head in 2nd gear at about 55 mph. Had to it was 3:00 in the morning and I had my pregnant wife and in-laws along. We ubnloaded the blazer and she followed me, talk about the worse 21 hours. Should have been about a 13 hour trip.

I guess I could go ahead and buy a transmission and then add a gear vendors overdrive for now and plan on the 700r4 swap later, both will use the same transfer case so probably only have to have the driveshaft remade twice. So advice please as it is killing me, I don't have time left to do everything. Crunch time.

Thanks

Darkroad

ZZ
07-13-2006, 20:13
I had a tranny one time in my younger poorer days that leaked out of the front seal pretty bad. I added about 1 1/2 quarts a day for over 3 months till I sold the car. It held up well.

NH2112
07-23-2006, 17:04
My K10 was leaking badly from the same location and it turned out to be a cracked torque converter.

85-m1028
07-26-2006, 19:35
my 400 had a front seal leak too, I just made sure to stay on top of the fluids and drove it till the engine blew which was about 7000 miles later!!