PDA

View Full Version : To turbo or not to turbo

Ossahatchee
07-13-2006, 07:07
Greetings everyone. I am the new kid on the block here and I already have a question.

I have an 85 Suburban 6.2 4x4. I just replaced the body with an 86 (old body was rusted out). I have had the Suburban for 6 years and aside from a little transmission work and a few starters I have had no problems. Up until now I have been willing to put up with the less than stellar power in return for the fuel mileage. Recently things have changed as I now have a new hobby, bowfishing, that requires pulling a 19' Carolina Skiff that is quite a load on the 6.2l. I have read all that I can find on the Banks sidewinder Turbo and like what I am hearing but a question or two remain. One, I have no idea how many miles are on this motor,will installation of a turbo lead to an early demise of this motor? Two, in all of the articles that I have read they are primarily about the installation process and the short term results, Would it be possible to hear from someone about the long term use of an aftermarket turbo on a preferably high mileage 6.2l? Thanks

Craig M
07-13-2006, 08:13
I asked the same question to the Banks reps at a diesel show a couple of years ago. They did not think it was a great idea to turbo a migh mileage 6.2 engine. Blown head gaskets were a definite possibilty in their opinion. Other members of this page have added the Banks turbo to high milege 6.2's with varying results. The Banks system is relatively easy to install. If you are lucky and get 40,000 or 50,000 more miles on the newly turboed engine before you have to rebuild it, so much for the good. If it goes out at 5,000 miles then so be it.

Lightyear
07-13-2006, 09:57
That is the question Whether 'tis nobler...sorry. I bought my '88 4 X 4 'Burb with 213K on the clock in February 2004. It just turned 292K with no turbo-related problems. Fuel consumption has been as good as 23MPG on highway trips, pretty good for a 6000 pound truck. It can definitely get out of its own way.

john8662
07-13-2006, 13:06
Mixed opinions from me after doing one (or two) on my own 6.2 pickup.

For fuel economy, leave it non turbo and drive it forever.

For power, put the turbo on it (or if you pull heavy) and enjoy effortless pulling power and get up and go empty, but at the cost of fuel economy.

You'll see more smoke from the engine during take offs than you would a properly tuned non-turbo 6.2.

I almost wish I'd left my truck non-turbo, it's one of those thing you do and you can't easily go back to the original way.

Ossahatchee
07-14-2006, 16:59
Thanks for the responses, I will have to ponder this awhile but always welcome any further discussion.