PDA

View Full Version : I am a new diesel owner need help

davidstereo
07-11-2006, 19:26
Hello,
I recently purchased a 1993 chevy 2500 4x4 6.5TD. I am picking it up on Friday. I got a good deal on it and just need a new toy to play with and have never owned a diesel so I thought I would give it a shot. What do I need to know about the difference of diesels and gasoline trucks? what should I watch for to break or what are the normal things that would break on this? It has 171000 miles on it. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you, David

HowieE
07-12-2006, 06:14
The most important thing to remember is you do not want to run out of fuel. Unlike a gasser that will pick up fuel and start after running out a diesel will not.Once a diesel runs out it introduces air into the injections system. If this happens the air has to be purged machanicaly. Just attempting to crank it over will most likely burn out the starter.

Second limitation of this diesel is heat. A diesel can, under load produce enough heat to actually melt the pistons. If you intend to tow anything over 4,000 lbs consider installing an exhaust temperature guage.

Fuel can go bad after prolonged storage. This problem should be lessing as diesels are rapidly becoming more used through. But just don't buy 55 gals. and store it in the shed for future use.

moondoggie
07-12-2006, 11:19
Good Day!

Go to the "Books" area & buy all the annual issues & read from beginning to end. It will be the 2nd best investment you've ever made, 2nd only to joining the Page.

Then you can do searches on the forums to flesh out the information you have questions about from your reading.

Then ask us anything - that's what we're all here for. ;)

Blessings!

davidstereo
07-13-2006, 18:07
Thanks,
I will do that after I get the truck tomorrow

Patrick m.
07-14-2006, 17:18
buy fuel and air filters 3 at a time, until you get the performance bug, then buy a K&N air filter...once.

still buy fuel filters 3 at a time.
get a good fuel lubricity additive. use sparingly
of course read everything here, get ready to work on your new truck by adding this and that, replacing exhaust, installing gauges, cranking up the fuel etc, etc.....