PDA

View Full Version : Axle interchangeability 5/6 lug in 10 Bolt?

DA BIG ONE
07-11-2006, 08:37
Ok, I finally found a 93 c1500 shortbed that someone hit a tree with. It's got a 10 bolt rear & has 5 lug axle's, I need to use 6 lug axle's so I need to know if I can use the axle's from my blown 10 bolt out of my 96 tahoe to install in the 10 bolt that has the 5 lug axle's?

I do see axle lengths between the 5 lug and 6 lug are about 1+ inch longer for the 6 lug, splines are the same will they interchange, or?

JohnC
07-11-2006, 11:18
Don't know the answerr, but, typically the 5 lug axles have a lower weight rating, so I'd be surprised if they'd fit.

DA BIG ONE
07-14-2006, 03:00
Well, I got lucky after someone ran into a tree in the wildlife preserve which is posted 10mph, figure they were doing 60mph and just suffered bumps and such. Truck is a total but it has a 10 bolt 5 lug rear that was just replaced before wreck. Took about 3 hours to load the thing onto a small auto trailer using wench, winch and hi-lift jack because front tires are pointed to the right, and thats the way it always wanted to go loading it.....

So, later I'll be able to tell ya all if the axles do interchange.

Cost so far $ 59. for trailer rental.

JohnC
07-14-2006, 08:46
Took about 3 hours to load the thing onto a small auto trailer using wench, winch and hi-lift jack because front tires are pointed to the right, and thats the way it always wanted to go loading it.....

So, later I'll be able to tell ya all if the axles do interchange.

Cost so far $ 59. for trailer rental.

How much of the $59 was for the wench?

If it doesn't fit, you could always put 5 lug wheels on the back and 6 on the front...

:p

DA BIG ONE
07-14-2006, 08:50
How much of the $59 was for the wench?

If it doesn't fit, you could always put 5 lug wheels on the back and 6 on the front...

:p

JC, The truth, and nothing but, "she always takes it all then gives me a small allowance".

Thinking of selling it anyway.......the Tahoe that is!

DA BIG ONE
07-21-2006, 02:31
Only parts I can use is carrier, ring & pinion. All seals and bearings are the same, brake drums from pickup are tiny. Interesting, this pickup has a carbon fiber driveshaft.

I'll be pulling the fuel tank to see if I can retro it into the burb, or my F-350 SRW Power Stroke, crew cab, longbed beast.....

Oh, how I love the smell of diesel... Now if I could only find that damn cassette player to play Wagner too.