PDA

View Full Version : diesel wagoneer

85-m1028
07-10-2006, 18:57
I have been trying to find a diesel powered vehicle that would be good for a family vehicle. Four doors, room in the back for our two golden retrievers and other stuff. Automatically I thought "how bout a suburban!" well that would be great and all but my wife would be the one driving it and she say's absolutely NO SUBURBAN!, "she doesn't like the lenght and sheer bulk". She did however see a Jeep FSJ wagoneer and said she likes those and would happily drive one. My wife has told me she would drive a mini van or the FSJ wagoneer. My question is would swapping in a 6.2 be a viable option "I know the Wagoneer came with a V8 and turbo 400 so It seems like a no brainer" or should I just relent to the ways of the mini van!! I have the old cucv 6.2 that I pulled out of my m1028 sittting in the garage, it just needs to be gone through and needs some new pistons. This engine with a 700r4 and np 208 t-case would get me ?? MPG, would it be worth it??

NH2112
07-10-2006, 19:10
I think the post-76 Wagoneers all came with the Quadra-Trac transfer case and had offset front and rear axles. If so, you'll need to swap in a different rear axle, and I'm not sure which one would be the right width and come with the 5 x 5 1/2" bolt pattern. You could always use a Ford or Dodge Dana 60 rear or GM 14-bolt full-floater, and 8-lug GM Dana 44 front (just swap in some Dana 44 hubs/rotors.)

85-m1028
07-11-2006, 09:50
I think the post-76 Wagoneers all came with the Quadra-Trac transfer case and had offset front and rear axles. If so, you'll need to swap in a different rear axle, and I'm not sure which one would be the right width and come with the 5 x 5 1/2" bolt pattern. You could always use a Ford or Dodge Dana 60 rear or GM 14-bolt full-floater, and 8-lug GM Dana 44 front (just swap in some Dana 44 hubs/rotors.)
I'm thinking it would need to pre 76 any ways so I won't have to deal with smog issues!

ThePIGSmith
07-11-2006, 13:39
There is a fellow member on the IFSJA Forum that has installed a 6.2 in a 1982 J20 3/4 ton pickup.
He used the existing T18 four speed and built a custom adapter plate to go between the Chevy bellhousing and the T18.
He reported 22mpg

Sadly, his truck was destroyed/totaled in accident.
He is currently rebuilding it with parts from a J10 donor.

Also, his father is installing a 6.2 in a 1990 Grand Wagoneer.

Check out the details:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=53047
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=53046

85-m1028
07-11-2006, 16:52
There is a fellow member on the IFSJA Forum that has installed a 6.2 in a 1982 J20 3/4 ton pickup.
He used the existing T18 four speed and built a custom adapter plate to go between the Chevy bellhousing and the T18.
He reported 22mpg

Sadly, his truck was destroyed/totaled in accident.
He is currently rebuilding it with parts from a J10 donor.

Also, his father is installing a 6.2 in a 1990 Grand Wagoneer.

Check out the details:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=53047
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=53046
COOL! thanks!! I didn't even think about the booster for the brakes!!

HH
07-12-2006, 06:31
You could use the turbo 400, but IIRC would have to use a GM case, but could use the internals from the AMC 400 trans and then add the factory TC adapter to the back of the GM case. This swap has been done, there is a member here who has done it. Could also check here: http://messages.jeep2diesel.org/index.php?sid=bdadc7d1573d4ffce3f1dc3c02c89338

What about a 2 door Yukon/Blazer/Tahoe?

85-m1028
07-12-2006, 09:30
You could use the turbo 400, but IIRC would have to use a GM case, but could use the internals from the AMC 400 trans and then add the factory TC adapter to the back of the GM case. This swap has been done, there is a member here who has done it. Could also check here: http://messages.jeep2diesel.org/index.php?sid=bdadc7d1573d4ffce3f1dc3c02c89338

What about a 2 door Yukon/Blazer/Tahoe?
I guess I forgot to mention my daughter and her carseat! so four doors are a must!!, I thought about the TH400 too, could go with 32" tires and 3.07 gear ratio in the diffs like the m1009 military blazer. Just need figure out how to stop it, I've gotta do some research!!

HH
07-12-2006, 14:17
Use the master and PS setup off the diesel. Or find one in the salvage yard. It really is not that hard to mark the GM hydro boost system work. I think the M & L vans have hydro boost brakes.

JeepSJ
07-13-2006, 00:01
Um, guys? Didn't someone here do this already? Oh, that's right, it was ME!

I'll start with a few corrections...

Not all 76-up Cherokees/Wagoneers came with the QT. It was an option.

Hydroboost is NOT a simple bolt-in swap. It is with a gas engine, but not with the diesel. I did get mine in, but it took some fab work. There are other brake booster options, including using the stock booster (which doesn't fit either, so you would need to go with like a 7" dual) and a vacuum pump.

Smog is different with diesels than gassers. Here in Kali, diesels are smog exempt.

Look in my sig for a link to pics. I need to get some current pics up there, but there are enough to get you started.

85-m1028
07-13-2006, 08:10

I'll start with a few corrections...

Not all 76-up Cherokees/Wagoneers came with the QT. It was an option.

Hydroboost is NOT a simple bolt-in swap. It is with a gas engine, but not with the diesel. I did get mine in, but it took some fab work. There are other brake booster options, including using the stock booster (which doesn't fit either, so you would need to go with like a 7" dual) and a vacuum pump.

Smog is different with diesels than gassers. Here in Kali, diesels are smog exempt.

Look in my sig for a link to pics. I need to get some current pics up there, but there are enough to get you started.
that is very clean!! I hadn't even thought about a turbo! what tranny did you use and why the floor shifter as oppossed to the collumn shifter? what kind of mpg? I know the diesels are exempt but was it really a hasle to get it inspected and registered? I'm in cali too! thats what scares me!!!

JeepSJ
07-13-2006, 18:41
that is very clean!! I hadn't even thought about a turbo! what tranny did you use and why the floor shifter as oppossed to the collumn shifter? what kind of mpg? I know the diesels are exempt but was it really a hasle to get it inspected and registered? I'm in cali too! thats what scares me!!!

Trans is a 700R4. I went with the floor shifter because there was never a 4speed option with the column shift, so I'm putting in a column out of a manual trans Jeep and using the floor shifter.

Hoping to get it fired and running before the end of the month. I'm hoping low to mid-20's for mileage. With the way it is geared, I should be right at 1800rpm at 65mph.

I registered mine as a diesel before I left Washington, so I got around the whole inspection issue. I did talk to a ref and he said that if you have a swap, then you need to visit a state station when your smog inspection is due so they can verify that it is still a diesel. I have not looked at what it would take to reclassify it as a diesel through the CA DMV (in Washington it was $6 to reclassify - no tests, no inspections, you just pay the $6 and they issue a new title/registration).

ThePIGSmith
07-18-2006, 18:25

Bummer! I forgot that you had a 6.5T in your Waggie.
The 6.2 got stuck in my mind and my brain vapor locked.

Sorry about that.

Also FSJeeper from over at the IFSJA forum, from down in the Lonestar state, is also building some killer 6.2/6.5 hybrid Diesel Cherokee.