PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new parts truck or maybe project

snoman87
07-10-2006, 07:52
I picked up a 93' 1Ton 4x4 with a nv4500 yesterday ... engine's in poor condition. It rattles like an SOB when cold but seems to quit down when it kicks down off high idle ... I am thinking IP. The engine does have 410,000km. The tranny and clutch are in good condition. Just have to figure out if this tranny/t-case are going into my CC or if my 6.2 is going into this truck.

Eventually, I'll probably wind up get a rebuild marine DB2-4911 and dropping my refreshed 92' 6.2 block and heads into one of these two trucks.

http://www.4wheeler.ca/uploads/post-1223-1152542526.jpg

DieselCrawler
07-12-2006, 06:30
Hey Snoman87,

nice new truck...

I just wanted to point out something, and you may have already noticed... you mentioned swaping the trans/tranfer case from this newer blue truck, to your older, (pre-'87 style) CC truck. The problem lies in the side on which the transfer case drop, right for the older trucks, to the solid front axle, or left, on the newer trucks, to the IFS diff.

I also noticed that you plan to put cross over steering on your truck at some point... I have done that to my K5 Blazer, and recently had to add a track bar to the system as well, with out it the front end was slideing side to side almost an inch, due to quickly-worn out spring bushings... let me know if you start that project, I'd be happy to share ideas and pictures...

Greg

john8662
07-12-2006, 07:36
Cool, I'll bet you got it for a song too.

I'd just fix it up and keep it for a spare. The Turbo equipment in that truck won't work real well in you CC truck, it's best suited for what it's in right now.

I may be joining the "another project truck" club here real soon.

snoman87
07-12-2006, 07:42
Good eye Gregg ... the plan it to eventually swap to a late 70's Ford HP Dana 60. I will keep the Track Bar in mind if I ever get there :)

Another person posted that the issue with the 93's rattle and smoking might be injectors ... I am going to swap in a spare set if it runs good the engine might also get swapped over.

However, the girlfriend said she would actually be seen driving in this truck ... wouldn't be cought dead in my hill billy CC!!!! So I maybe just drive this one and part out my 86' CC. Sure looks funny pulling a quad trailer with a Kia Magentis ... women!!!!

snoman87
07-12-2006, 07:57
Cool, I'll bet you got it for a song too.

Yep $1500 cdn ... it runs by pull starting right now because one starter bolt is snapped, I know exactly how to fix that.

We are swapping rear diff's out with the one in my dads truck ... he's and old fart and doesn't believe in lockers. I get his low K's lots of play 3.73 diff with detroit locker to replace it. Everyone can use a detroit when it's virtually free!!!!!