PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket or RTV?

65-f100
07-08-2006, 06:49
Just wondering what people have used with success. I have the valve covers off and want to know what has been working better for other people. Mine had RTV only on them when I pulled them off - but they were seeping, I see that Fel-Pro makes a cork set for them. I using RTV - are you using the grey or black? Thanks

Patrick m.
07-08-2006, 08:14
i use grey, and it will last much longer than the cork gaskets

Robyn
07-08-2006, 08:21
HI there
I just finished a rebuild on a 94 6.5 and I am from the old school and always use gaskets.
WELL here is a time and place to use the goop
These covers were designed to use silicone only. Make sure your cover flanges are straight and flat, wash both contact surfaces with brake clean and then use the high temp silicone, Black, grey, orange????? I have tried several over the years and I cant honestly say one is better. Patrick seems to like the grey.
The secret is to have the surfaces clean and then the silicone HAS to be wet when you set the covers on. Snug them down to proper torque and you are good to go. A word to the wise!!! dont fire off the rig untill the silicone has set totally. (Overnight)
Hope this helps
Robyn

65-f100
07-08-2006, 09:59
Thanks for the replies. Grey has always worked well for me too. Any idea what the torque is on these? Can't say I ever torqued valve covers before - always just snugged them and just a little more. Any input?

Robyn
07-08-2006, 14:39
Snug with a short wrench. 10-15 ft Lbs