PDA

View Full Version : 1996 6.5 Td

Buckle
07-06-2006, 20:41
Howdy;

I got a 1996 6.5l td ex cab short box 4x4 with 373 limited slip rear end with a 3 speed auto with overdrive. I have 147,000 kms on it, and I am wondering what problems I am susceptible to? I have been reading on this form but i cannot find anything to actually go hand in hand with my truck.

Would my VIN code help?

Thanks

john8662
07-06-2006, 21:00
The VIN will only help to identify the type of 6.5 you have whether it be light duty or heavy duty.

Being that you have a '96, you may or may not have the HO cooling mods consisting of a higher GPM water pump and a dual thermostat crossover. Actually 96 was the transition year, that's why the may or may not came into play. This will be determined with a visual inspection, buy ID'ing the parts.

The only other thing that I'd consider replacing is the stock airbox in a '96, and upgrade to the '97+ airbox that does not use the flat-panel air filter. But, of course, if it ain't broke, don't fix.

Warren96
07-07-2006, 05:55
The '97 dosen't use a flat panel air fiter ?What does it use?

john8662
07-07-2006, 07:11
Warren,

The 97+ engines have a round paper filter, that easily connects to the tube going into the turbo, it has it's own box, The bid advange is that you know you're getting a more positive seal with this style airbox.

Buckle
07-07-2006, 21:32
you may or may not have the HO cooling mods consisting of a higher GPM water pump and a dual thermostat crossover. Actually 96 was the transition year, that's why the may or may not came into play. This will be determined with a visual inspection, buy ID'ing the parts.

Ok well i looked and the thermostat housing has 4 one going to the Rad, one going to the heater core and one going to the water pump and one going to either the head or the intake.

And im not sure what you mean by "GPM", im guessing its flowrate.

Thanks.

sturgeon-phish
07-08-2006, 04:20
I think the later '96s, like after Feb. had the dual Tstats. Mine was made mid Feb and has the single. As far as "expected" problems, the FSD is on borrowed time if not already replaced. If dealer replaced there would be a record. When / if you replace it go to a remote mount, I have the under the bumper mount. Check the instalation of the air filer to make sure it is installed properly. The best way to do this is to remove the air box install the filter and put the air box back in. I tried replacing the filter in place and it's a pain to get sealed in place. Ended up going to a '97 box and filter. The cat is more than likely getting plugged. May want to rod it out. I kept my rodded out cat when I replaced the exhaust if you would be interested. My truck has 86200 miles and runs great!
Jim

Buckle
07-08-2006, 07:41
What do you mean by FSD? I am guessing the injection pump? I don

Robyn
07-08-2006, 08:32
The FSD is the little small black box on the drivers side of the injection pump.
Its tucked down in that hot box and is prone to failure do to design and the horrible heat it is subjected too.
You will here it called FSD, PMD, Black box, and a host of other phrases that I cant use here.
To remote mount a new one you dont need to remove the old one.
You simply fish the connector off of the old one (Engine Cold) and use an extension cable to mount a new one on a large heat sink preferably in a cool spot out front in the core support or underneath on the front shield.
The PMD connector has a lock tab like most connectors used in todays rigs.
You need to use a thin bladed screw driver to pry the lock tab up while you work the plug out. THE KEY WORD HERE IS CAREFULLY so you dont break the tab off as they get hard over time with all the heat they are exposed to.
Best to ya
Robyn

Buckle
07-08-2006, 18:09
I am taking a road trip on mountain highways and I am wondering what the operating heat temp range of this motor is? I want to make sure its running like a Cadillac before she goes on the journey, input is much appreciated. This is my first diesel and I don

MTTwister
07-08-2006, 20:52
If it's the stock , early '96 the Thermot stat housing probably has 1 OEM which is about 195

Buckle
07-10-2006, 18:37
When I start my truck turn the ignition on my wait to start light comes on, then goes off and flashes 3 times, what does this flashing 3 times mean? And when in the cycle should I start it? After the main

moondoggie
07-11-2006, 10:46
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

The 1st question you need to answer for us is, will you be pulling anything or not; if so, how heavy? My following will assume you are pulling nothing.

[i]"