PDA

View Full Version : Humvee Kit Car

Robyn
07-06-2006, 08:03
Back in November 2004 I purchased a Badlands R/T Humvee kit.
This is a complete conversion body and parts to turn a Chevy pickup or Suburban into a very close lookalike to a Humvee
I have been working on this project off and on since I purchased it.
A point of interest though is that I am installing a 6.2 GM diesel in the little critter. (Base rig is an 82 1/2 ton Burb 4X4)
If you folks find this project of interest I can keep an update running as I go along so you can see how its coming. Pics are not a problem either.
A word here, this is not a project for the faint of heart.
It showed up on a trailer as a mountain of pieces not to mention the body.
Let me know
Robyn

moondoggie
07-06-2006, 09:44
Good Day!

I, & I'll bet others, would be very interested, even though it's unlikely I'll ever do such. Or, an article...

Blessings!

Beedee
07-06-2006, 20:54
I would like to watch it come together, looks like a lot of fun (work???)
Brian

Robyn
07-07-2006, 07:42
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH yeah buddy.
Its not the destination that counts here, its the journey and believe me this is a journey.
Last night I ripped the old 350 out and set it aside and got the temporary 6.2 dropped in so I can get all the plumbing,wiring and stuff along with power steering hoses cooling system and exhaust done.
I cant weld inside my shop because the shop shares area on the other end with hay storage for the horses.
I am decidedly interested at this point in getting any and all welding I need to do finished on the chassis done.
Also its lovely working outside with all the light and a nice breeze, oh and don't forget the "SHADE TREE"
My shop is about 100yds from the ranch house so I need to pack all tools down for whatever work I am doing then pack them all back when done as the building is not all that secure.
The complete chronology of this build can be found at H1forum.com
go to the main page then down to the showcase your hummer replica.
then go to "Robyns Badlands" lots of piccy's too.
I keep saying, "We are getting close" but every little detail that is so easily thought over in the mind can take a day or more to get done, as I am not following the build (plans) to the letter.
More like being off doing my own thing. So much of the build plans are useless as I am using the kit for the latter Suburban frame on an early one and basically nothing in the way of mounts and such fit. The reason I did this was it allows for a very nice ride height and a nearly flat floor instead of a "tunnel" down the middle.
Thanks for the interest
Many smiles and a zillion miles
Robyn

redbird2
07-07-2006, 14:59
I've been kicking around building one of those myself however with a 6 door custom body mounted on a 04 duramax chassis, been to busy to start on another project now finishing my 98 crew cab converstion to diesel now. The truck has bee done for over year now going back and making some upgrade, aftercooler, power windows that kinda things.

Please keep up up to date can't wait to see the finsihed truck looks like its going to be one cool ride good luck.

P.S. I just went back and installed a sound deading rubber material on the floor of my crew cab it made a night and day difference is sound level in the cab area found it on e-bay there are several different brands all seem to be good product.

thanks for sharing with us diesel junkies

Kev-o
07-08-2006, 18:55
Cool project keep us updated! We @ Eagle Power Boats built a few aluminum HUMMER bodys for a local shop that shoved them on solid axle chevs That was in the late 90's Good luck with the project it will be awesome.

Kev-o
www.outlaweagle.com

Robyn
07-09-2006, 17:20
I got a lot of things done this weekend on the Hummer kit
Steering column in and all hooked up along with the brake pedal hanger.
Went to the U pull it yard and got a nice GM pickup throttle pedal assembly and just finished getting that mounted in the coach.
Drivers seat mount all done and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH how nice it is. Loads of leg room and a mile of adjustment in the seat sliders.
I bought a set of 4 buckets seats from an outfit. They came from Freightliner Sprinter Vans. Nothing fancy mind you but they will work swell. Dual arm rests too.
Temp is around 90F outside so I am a little slugish but am going to start working on the right hand seat mount.
This is just toooooooooooooooooooooo much fun building this little beast.
I need to drop off the throttle cable from the 6.2 at the Napa store and have them get one made that is about 6" longer to fit with the wider body.
The U pull it wrecking yard is a wonderful place to find little goodies. The whole pedal assembly with bolts and such was $3.
All for now
Robyn

Robyn
07-10-2006, 21:36
Got the dash assembly fit to the coach now and also the parking brake unit from the original rig all fit into the coach.
I was pleasantly pleased to find the the parking brake cable that runs from the pedal unit to the frame was of a length that it works well with the new body. The Badlands (Hummer) kit body is 14 inches wider than a Suburban so some things have to be longer. The throttle cable had to be 8 inches longer to lay right and plug into the firewall properly. I dropped the old one off at the NAPA store this AM and they will have me a nice new one later this week.
trying to get something done every day. I need to rebuild my Hydro booster for the brakes and get it back on with a new master cylinder soon.
All the hydraulic lines for the steering and brakes are going to have to be custom as are the fittings. I dont think this will be too serious of an issue. I am going to braze J I C fittings onto stubs cut from the original lines and that will allow me to connect to the pump,steering box and hydro booster and then connect it all with standard hydraulic hose with J I C connectors. Out on the road if a hose goes any NAPA store can stomp one out in a jiffy.
getting near time to start thinking about the wiring. I am doing it all from scratch so I can decide how it will all work and leave out the stuff that always failed on the donor rig.
I unboxed the Vintage air heater/ AC unit for the first time, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. This thing rocks. totally self contained, all it needs is 12Volts and hot water and refrigerant hooked up and its good to go. Comes with its own control panel and plenty of leads to hook it up. NO Vacuum needed.
They offer several styles of units and panels to make anybody happy.
Run the flex tubes to the vents and its a done deal.
Wow I can almost feel the wheels turning now and the wind in my face. HMMMMMMMMMM maybe I better stop dreaming :0)
The next major build is my custom center consol with the electrical panel,battery trays and the shifter assemblies in it. Not really a big deal but needs to be done soon to make getting the shifters up and working possible as well as doing all the coach wiring.
I am going to use all white wire and number everything with a code to identify and and all wires at each end.
All for now. Stay tuned for more from Robyns MONSTER BARN.
Many smiles and a zillion miles
Robyn