PDA

View Full Version : GM replacement engine

stapleton
07-05-2006, 21:58
I have just been told I have a cracked block on my 94 6.5T engine. I was getting coolant in my oil so the shop pulled the heads thinking the problem was heads or gaskets. Both were in good shape. I have read that 1994 blocks were prone to cracks but i understand new 6.5 engines from GM have that problem solved. I am considering buying new engine from GM. it comes with 3 year /100000 mile warranty. Dealer indicated that new engine has different metal in casting. Has anyone had good luck or information about 6.5 engines offered by GM lately?

Bnave95
07-06-2006, 03:09
Check around first. Look into the DP Advertisers and call them. Ron Schoolcraft (RJ) has by far the best 6.5 build. www.kenndeydiesel.com has the best GM short block replacement. Gm short block replacement can be costly.

john8662
07-06-2006, 06:35
Actually, if you've got a true 94 engine, it's less likely to be a cracked block than the later engines.

Does this truck have a goodwrench replacement engine in it already? Since you have a lot of it apart, mind posting the casting number off the block? The number is located on the rear of the engine on what would normally be the driver's side, below where the heads mount.

Coolant in the oil is usually a cracked block, but usually associated with the later casting of blocks. But cylinder walls still do crack on these block due to heat, usually the back two #'s 7 & 8, and possibly #6.

Might check with several dealers in regard to a new engine. Some dealers have a discount parts department and can actually get you a decent deal on that new GM crate engine.

Of course, if you're looking for more, you can go with a performance reman from one of the venders.

stapleton
07-06-2006, 11:29
Yes the engine has already been replaced with a GM engine while it was under warranty. The records from the previous owner show it was a 1996 engine that was installed. I will look for the engine number when I go to the shop that has the truck. I can buy a new GM crate engine long block(at least that is what they call it. Engine with heads but no intake manifold for 8300 CDN. List price showed as 10600. I am hoping new GM crate engines are better than the 1996 one they put in. Indications from GM dealer is that new engine has new part number and is suppose to be better block material. GM mechanic I spoke to said he does not see many problems with these new engines.

john8662
07-06-2006, 15:49
Before the mechanic installs it, verify that it's not old stock.

The better blocks will have Diamond Emblem cast in the "V" of the engine, it's the Navistar emblem. No Diamond Emblem, then don't let them install it or pay for it, it's not the enhanced block.

I'll bet your "cracked" 1996 is really a 1997 '506 block.

Mainous
07-06-2006, 17:48
Don't forget to check with Peninsular Diesel for your replacement. After touring their facility at the rondezvous this year, and seeing what General Engine Products is doing for them, it would be a no brainer to me.

I have been where you are with my '97 and it is no fun.

Check with Peninsular!

Robyn
07-06-2006, 20:03
Another option is to dig up a buildable 92,93, 94 599 block and freshen it.
The 599 Blocks were pretty good it seems. I have two with over 200K on them. I just rebuilt one that lost a head gasket at 247K and it is back doing its job now.
Just a thought
Robyn

HH
07-07-2006, 10:06
I would also recommend checking with Peninsular. I installed one of their 18:1 engines in my K3500. They are great to work with, good customer service.

6 and 1/2 liters
07-07-2006, 19:56
If you are looking at the dsg motors in saskatoon I think you are better off to buy state side. It will still be cheaper to buy from pennisular or someone else then paying there price. dsg does claim to have the new blocks that are high nickel but I have heard that they may not be. So basically shop around alot before you make your purchase because there are lots of places to buy from.

ronniejoe
07-07-2006, 20:19
If you're interested, check this option (http://www.thedieselpage.com/newprod.htm).

AC Bingel
07-07-2006, 20:35
I opted to go with a Peninsular Engine this past Spring when my block cracked. I liked the idea of the 18:1 over another GM stock motor. It runs like a dream and Matt at Peninsular is a guy you can trust. His warranty is not as good as the GM warranty but I wouldn't let that scare you.