PDA

View Full Version : Need Help in Juneau, Alaska

kcomstock
07-04-2006, 22:23
Greetings,

I am the proud owner of a 30ft Tollycraft Express Cruiser that I bought on the east coast of the US (Baltimore) and had shipped to Alaska last season.

The boat has two 6.2L normally aspirated diesel motors.

I am very happy with the boat and reasonably happy with the motors.

The engines start easy enough and the boat seems quick enough. As a red blooded american, it could always be quicker. Also, I insist that all of my motor vehicles be kept in peak operating condition.

So why am I posting?

Well, I am having a hard time finding a qualified mechanic here in Alaska that has experience with the engines as they seemingly are not used as frequently in the marine environment as other brands.

My journey started because both engines produce excessive white smoke and one engine eats a lot of oil. Also, there is a an oil or fuel leak somewhere that shows up in the bilge, but I have been unable to identify the source with the engines running.

I figured that a basic tune up by a knowledgeable mechanic would cure a lot, but since I can't find one, I guess that I'm going to have to learn how to do things myself. Considering where I am using the boat (Total and complete wilderness) and the inherent dangers to boating where the water temeratures are so low, that it probably makes sense to have a basic working knowledge of the engines anyway. That is why I joned this forum.

I have read a lot of the posts and have some ideas as where to begin, but before I get started, I have a problem in just trying to find a supplier of some of the tools that I will need to be effective.

Let me start with a simple request, where can I find an appropriate timing device to check the timing. What brand? How much should I expect to pay.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Keith Comstock
Juneau, Alaska

john8662
07-05-2006, 11:20
Welcome aboard! - yeah, I think I'm funny since this is about boats...

Your question: what to use for a timing meter..

Well, the mixed news about timing meters is that there isn't a real good source for one for the 6.2 in NEW condition.

2 main types of meters exist:

Inductive, measures injection pulse from injection line to sense timing.

Lumy, has an optical probe that views the fire in the cylinder for timing.

Stanadyne makes an inductive type timing meter that is compatible with the 6.2, and it may be still in production. I have no idea how much this jewel will run you, but I suspect it will be more than $500 smackers.

Kent-Moore also had an inductive type timing meter for th 6.2 and Ferd diesels, this meter may also still be availble.

The other meters were made by Snap-on and are a lumy style meter. The models are MT480 and MT1480, both are no longer available from Snap-on. You're best bet for these (which are the most common meters out there) is on ebay. There is generally always somone selling one, but expect to pay 150 - 200 for a used meter with all the attachments. Beware of bid snipers, I've fallen victim to this far too many times.

Lastly, Ferd (yes I mispelled this intentionally) had a Rotunda timing meter for the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI engines, it has been found that they DO work on the 6.2's, something to try and find as well. I don't have a model number for this.

As for the running condition of the engines, you'll want to fix all those leaks, I suspect one of the oil leaks is leading to the oil consumption you're seeing in one of the engines. The white smoke can be many things, usually tied to timing, but can be from a leaking head gasket, etc. More reading and investigation will reveal the culprit eventually.

A good source for marine parts and information can also be found via Peninsular Engines. They specilize in marine 6.2 and 6.5's, even more power options. www.peninsularengine.com

J

BobND
07-05-2006, 22:39
Let's change "inductive" to piezo-electric.

kcomstock
07-06-2006, 12:16
I have been diligently searching the internet and ebay in particular for the Diesel timing meters you recommended. So far there are currently no timers for sale, but I am patient. While I am waiting, It would seem a good idea to get ahold of some belts and hoses. Is this something that I need to (and can still) order through GM or are there good third party suppliers out there?

Should I stockpile these or are they still readily available?

Whom do you recommend? There is a Napa and and Advanced Auto Parts in Juneau. Otherwise, I'll probably have to use the dealer or if someone can reommend a reputable Internet suppier, that would be most likely be the most economical option.

Thanks Again!