PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Crud

CedarGrove
07-04-2006, 14:46
OK. So I picked up an 84 C10 that had been sitting for a few years. Previous owner parked it because the thing was leaking water from the freeze plugs and didn't really want to deal with it. Anyway...I've replaced the 3 freeze plugs on each side of the block (5 freeze plugs + 1 block heater) and the thing is pretty water tight at the moment. The problem is that the block and radiator are full of rusty crud.

I suspect that the PO was dealing with the leak by simply filling the rad each morning with tap water. There didn't seem to be any corrosion fighting anti-freeze in the system.

I have a new water pump and thermostat ready to go in. I have the radiator out and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Do I take it to a radiator shop and have them recondition it or do I kick for a new radiator? Looks like this one has already been repaired a time or 2. 2 core, 4 core, 5 core?

Also...With the new or reconditioned rad, I'm worried that all of the crud sitting in the bottom of the block is going to muck it up. Is there a good way to flush the gunk?

I have started and driven this beast and I like it and intend to drive it for a good long time. I'm looking for the most cost effective solution. I could go for a new $400 AutoZone radiator, but wanted to know what people think about having the local rad guys recondition it.

Lewis

bmiszuk
07-05-2006, 06:33
Hi CedarGrove,

If it's holding water now, I'd just flush it with some radiator flush product and run it that way for a while. Drain and refill it several times to try to get all that gunk out of the engine. Backflush the engine if you can.

After it seems you've gotten it all cleaned up, pull the radiator again... they're easy to pull. Either have a shop rework it or just buy a new one. Replace the t-stat, water pump, hoses, etc. That's also a good time to check the timing chain, front seal, and crankshaft pulley.

If it was me and I had the money, I'd just buy a new radiator at that time (not right now). When I bought my Suburban I took the radiator into the shop to fix a leak. It had been patched many times before and was in lousy condition. The shop offered to try to fix it for $100-125, but I ended up buying a new one from them for $325. I was worth it for the peace of mind it brings when I have the family in the Suburban in hot weather.

Bob

CedarGrove
07-05-2006, 18:02
I went ahead and ordered a new radiator today. I'll put it in this weekend along with the pump and t-stat, then flush the beast with water a few times. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Thanks,

Lewis

arveetek
07-07-2006, 20:38
I went ahead and ordered a new radiator today.

I believe you made a smart choice. Seems like I had to pull my radiator about once a year and have it re-soldered, but it would never hold together very long before it would spring a leak again. I finally installed a new radiator this spring, and I think I've solved my problems for good. Plus, it seems the engine is running a bit cooler.

Casey