PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted

Rob Mac
07-03-2006, 05:07
I have just acquired a 1994 Silverado wth 6.5 L Turbo.On start up it has very bad diesel knock & breaks down under load at around 1800 revs.this car has EFI ( I think).Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated,as I am new to Chevy diesels.

Robyn
07-03-2006, 08:38
A little more history please????
How many miles?
Any info available from the previous owner?
Sounds very much like a high miler thats come to need an IP and a set of nozzles. Checking the vacuum pump is a good idea too. see that you have a good steady 20 inches at the wategate servo. The "laying down" can be lack of boost causing a very rich condition. Does the critter smoke heavily when it "Lays down"??
Any codes coming up??
(Check engine light coming on)
You can get a real simple code checker that plugs into the test port right under the dash by the steering wheel.
You can count the flashes of the SES light and see whats up.
It will flash one group and then pause then flash the second group to give you the code (Example Flash Flash Flash -------------- Flash Flash Flash Flash = 34 If you are getting a check engine light, shut down and disconect the batteries, wait a couple minutes then reconnect and start up.
This will clear any old codes and give you only current issues to wonder about.
Let us know and we can go from there
Load of smiles and a million miles
Robyn

N9Phil
07-03-2006, 13:55
You should have the OBDI system. The DLC connector should be mounted to the left of the steering column under the dash. On the OBDI system you can read the codes by using a jumper wire. I use a paper clip. Jumper terminal A to B. on the DLC. Turn on the key and count the flashes of the Service engine soon light. Each code will go three times before it does the next one.

To clear the codes in the computer.
1.Ignition "Off"
2.Jumper terminal A to B
3.Ignition "On"
4.Fully apply brake pedal.
5.Fully apply accelerator pedal.
6.Check MIL (Service engine soon) for DTC 12.
7.Release Brake Pedal.
8.Release Accelerator pedal.
9.check MIL (Service engine soon) for DTC 12.
10.Remove jumper from DLC connector.
11.Turn ignition "Off".

N9Phil