PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Shield or, noise maker! What's it for?

john8662
07-02-2006, 18:46
I know this is going to sound kind of dumb, but I've always put parts I retrieve from engines back where I found them.

The part in question is the timing chain shield, or oil splash shield. I'm wondering two things here:

1. What is it's true purpose
2. Is this thing a timing noise amplifyer (not by design, by character)?

All the 6.5's I have the pleasure of taking apart haven't had this jewel in them.

Maybe it's because of the different location for CDR blow-by input, on a 6.2 it's the oil fill cap (pre 88) and on 6.5's it's on the valve cover. I don't know if the 88-91 6.2's had this piece in them.

I'm debating leaving it out, got the cover off again (not happy) to fix an oil leak.

Quick answers fellas!

bmiszuk
07-02-2006, 19:30
From the R&R Guide:

"This baffle helps keep oil spray from being sucked into the crankcase vent pipe in the oil filler tube."

I'd replace it. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it could help prevent a runaway where the engine burns its own crankcase oil. Doesn't seem likely to me, but who knows...

dieseldummy
07-02-2006, 20:39
I never had it on my origional '93 6.5 motor, but the 6.2 motor I replaced it with had it. I put it in during the rebuild, I left it out when I droped the gears in. I can't tell any difference, I suppose having the CDR in front may matter though.

BobND
07-02-2006, 22:09
I know this is going to sound kind of dumb, but I've always put parts I retrieve from engines back where I found them.

The part in question is the timing chain shield, or oil splash shield. I'm wondering two things here:

1. What is it's true purpose
2. Is this thing a timing noise amplifyer (not by design, by character)?

All the 6.5's I have the pleasure of taking apart haven't had this jewel in them.

Maybe it's because of the different location for CDR blow-by input, on a 6.2 it's the oil fill cap (pre 88) and on 6.5's it's on the valve cover. I don't know if the 88-91 6.2's had this piece in them.

I'm debating leaving it out, got the cover off again (not happy) to fix an oil leak.

Quick answers fellas!

AFAIK, engines with crankcase ventilation through the front cover, into the oil fill tube, then to the CDR have the baffle,

Engines with the crankcase vent/CDR out the RH valvecover DON'T have the baffle.

john8662
07-02-2006, 23:00
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear, just return it back to where it came from...