PDA

View Full Version : Headers on 6.2NA??

t rex 7
07-01-2006, 18:57
6.2 Forum members,

I have just recently located and purchased a set of 6.5 hummer heads along with headers to place on my 84 C10 6.2. Currently the motor is stock, with future plans of putting a 6.5 turbo and exhaust from a hummer on my 6.2 for added power. I am not trying to make 250hp or more, I am just trying to get a little more acceleration and power out of the motor without ruining the great mileage I get out of this diesel. Is there something that I can do with the pump and injectors to get a little more without going to turbo? Last question where can I get an aftermarket tach to work with my motor, I keep seeing them for 6.5s & 6.2s but not for my year model.

With stock rearend (2.70 or 3.08?) and a 700r4 I get about 30-32mpg. This is my daily driver when I am home and is used to run though the neighborhood early in the morning and scare the parents into thinking that their kids just missed the school bus.:D Gotta love that dual exhaust and turbo mufflers.:cool:

t rex

More Power
07-08-2006, 10:04
Welcome to the board. :)

With that kind of mileage, I'd not want to do much to the engine...

You could have 2.73:1, 3.08:1, 3.42:1, 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 gearing. The sticker located inside your glove box could give you more info on differential gearing.

Generally, an NA 6.2 or 6.5 can be improved approximately 10% (at most)in power by engine tuning, intake and exhaust improvements. By contrast, a turbocharger can increase power 30-40%.

There is an article available in the Member 6.2/6.5 Archive (http://www.thedieselpage.com/archive.htm) called "Tachometer Alternatives" that is just what you're looking for.

Jim