PDA

View Full Version : Solid flywheel, NV4500 Dampner

johnanc
06-30-2006, 10:12
Have small amount of free travel of clutch pedal on recently purchased 1994 K2500 6.5L with 200K miles. Has dual-mass flywheel (no unusual noises at this time) but was thinking of changing for a solid flywheel but understand GM recommends installing "dampner" on output shaft of NV4500. Dampner is expensive, wondering if it is necessary and what is involved in installation.
Thanks, John

More Power
06-30-2006, 14:17
I've heard from quite a few who have upgraded to the newer single mass flywheel, and didn't install the trans damper - with no apparent ill effects. However, the engineers must have decided it needed one. I suppose a lot depends on how the truck is used and at what rpm/load. Generally lower rpms and higher low rpm loads (i.e. lugging) would create more of a need for the damper.

Jim

ogrice
07-01-2006, 19:25
I went from dual mass flywheel to single mass. Single mass setup is 18 lbs lighter on paper, Still real heavy when I installed it. Driven the nv4500 with output shaft dampner and without dampner. Runs a little smoother with the dampner. The dampner looks like an additional piece. I think that its held on with a retaining ring. Can't see of a way to install the dampner without removing the output shaft from the trans. Seems like a big job. You are going the right direction by changing the whole clutch if you are set on installing the output shaft dampner.

Hubert
07-03-2006, 22:26
IIRC I've read on here or other places the dampner is really only to reduce groaning of the transmission during lugging. I don't think it adds any strength. Groaning tranny sounds bad on test drive and I am guessing the harmonics and freqency of groans may also shorten life of shafts and/or bearings but I think its rather long term wear 100,000 miles plus to make a noticable difference. I don't know for sure. When I was calling around doing research on my clutch before tear down I recieved mixed advice some said you needed it some said you did not.