PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the power

eclipsefence
06-27-2006, 14:33
We didn't drive the wrecker over the winter, but it just dosn't have the power it used to. I changed both fuel filters and the air filter, but nothing changed. It's an 82 C30 with 157K on her. Never been fast, and big pulls( around 10K) were a little slow but possible, but now it can't pull 2,000 lbs over 25. I'm afraid it's something expensive like the injectors or the pump, but is there any tests I could do( I'm a parts changer at best). Thanks.

On Edit: it has always ran a little rough, and with the true dual exhaust I have seen faint white smoke from the driver's side tailpipe is I bought it 2 years ago.

john8662
06-27-2006, 16:45
Sounds like injection pump going south.

Check for air in the system first, and that the fuel lift pump is functioning.

eclipsefence
06-28-2006, 17:55
So I checked all the injectors today and they seem to be fine. There is no air in the sysem, and the lift pump seems to be working. At least it's not leaking. So I'm at the IP then.

I read my Haynes manual, and the removal doesn't seem too bad. But I'm a little worried about the static timing with a new unit. Will that be a problem?

Am I correct in thinking a Marine pump is going to give me better, read faster up hills, towing than the stock rebuilt? Or is it not worth it on an old NA truck, without any other mods? Id guess just a rebuilt IP is gonna be better than the truck's been since I've owned it two years.

john8662
06-29-2006, 07:49
Your lift pump is likely good considering you were able to still purge the air out of the fuel system after changing the fuel filters. Otherwise you'd probably never get it running and keep it running.

As for a replacement IP, i'd just recommend replacing the pump for it's replacement, or having it rebuilt. Typically a "marine" pump puts out much more fuel than the stock pump will, and is design to be used with a turbo. You'd basically smother the engine with fuel internally and it would smoke like a tar kettle, w/o noticing much if any of a power gain.

For timing, you'll likely be ok, just aligning the timing marks on the IP flange with the scribe mark on the timing cover. If anything you can bump the line about one line's width to the driver's side fender to advance the timing slightly to account for timing chain stretch/wear.

J

britannic
06-29-2006, 10:38
If nothing changed, did you refuel with fresh diesel, or is it running on what was in the tank before the winter?

eclipsefence
06-29-2006, 18:56
I've ran a few tanks through it, with Power Service. I cmpletely emptied the bed today and drove around town, plus picked up some fence for next week. Empty, it accelorates ok, but it doesn't have that extra umph that it had going from mashing th epedal to really pushing my toe down more. Towing it just has nothing.

With 157,000 in the clock, is it time to change injectors as well? I'm thinkign about selling my other truck and using this as a daily driver, so haivng some power would be nice. Then again I also need to get the A/C working.

One more thing- since it's always ran and idled rough, should the IP help a little, or am I looking at a timing cahin replacement?

Thanks guys.

john8662
06-29-2006, 21:32
Rough idle conditions are pretty hard to diagnose.

But, I can tell you that if you freshen up both the IP and the injectors that it will run a lot smoother. It's possible that the injectors are well past their time for replacement.

Don't worry about the chain, they're not really whipped until about 200-250k IMO.

J