PDA

View Full Version : how do you......

yuflesh
06-26-2006, 20:44
how do you adjust TPS sensor. Mine is out of wack, and throwing a code. Ive been told before going and spending 100-200 bucks, to try adjusting it first. Im getting code 21 (I belive TPS sensor high voltage).

If someone can help with a short howto, that would be much appriciated.

Thank you

Marko

BobND
06-26-2006, 22:06
I'ts been a while, but IIRC, you are looking for something like .5 to .6 Volts on the center terminal, with the throttle closed.

yuflesh
06-26-2006, 23:00
pardon my ignorance, never done this before. Are you saying that I should have the above mention voltate on the center terminal when vehicle is running. Should I disconnect the connector or how do you check voltage. I take it you losen the two screws and move it until you get that voltage?

Am I out to lunch or does that make sense?

Thank you

Marko

BobND
06-27-2006, 05:35
IIRC, thats correct. You can use a sharp probe, and pierce the wire (patching it with a dab of silicone sealant when done), or probe of the terminal at the PCM (located above the glowbox).

It's been a while since I've done this... I'll try to remember to look for the "specs" today, as well as the connector pin #.

If it is shifting goofy, likely anything you do will be a temporary fix, if the sensor is worn or dirty, and not producing a "clean" and steady output.

yuflesh
06-27-2006, 06:47
yep that is exactly what its doing. Its shifting funny, and throwing a code. I was thinking about cleaning it, maybe shaving it a tiny bit, just to clean it off. Then trying to adjust it. Really dont feel like blowing 100 bucks (at least) on a sensor.

If I have to spend it, I have to spend it, but Id try other alternatives first.

Thanks again

Marko