PDA

View Full Version : Another update on the high mile overhaul

Robyn
06-23-2006, 07:53
Well its been one little thing after another here. Not all bad just many starts and stops while waiting for GM parts. The local GM guys have been great in finding me all the little goodies I wanted to replace.
Still waiting on some factory axhaust flange bolts.
Started yesterday after breakfast and morning erands (11am) and went to work getting the engine stuffed back into the Burb.
Brought the Bobcat up and hooked a chain on the bucket to hang the air hoist on. Was waiting for the son inlaw to show up and help but AWe heck might as well rig the hoist and get the engine off the stand and ready to go.
Mounted the flex plate and hauled the engine out and got it in front of the truck. Hmmm still no kid. Decided to go ahead and get it dropped down in the hole and close. Awe might as well see if it will drop in.
15 minutes later the little beastie has found its way comfortably sitting where it belongs and the old 4l80 snuggled up behind it.
After rerouting the fuel lines the other day the process of bolting the units together was pretty much a snap. (As it should be)
Tossed in the towel at 4pm
Most everything major is buttoned up. I just need to install the accessories and the exhaust manifolds and the turbo, a few wires yet to plug back in and we should be ready to lite it off.
Probably this weekend if no other items turn into a panic. Kid showed up later and helped put the hood back on. SWEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeT

Remember the days when you could yank the 283 out of the O'l chevy in an hour and not have to bust yer !@# and use all them nasty phrases and need a box and a half of bandaids not to mention the tool box full of those tools that have a J number on them and cost a weeks wages.
My neighbor has a Mercedes and he wanted me to help him overhaul the engine. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA need a special tool just to find the engine in that thing
My Kingdom for the Old days!!!
My Kingdom for a rig without a computer!!!!!
Heck I dont even have a kingdom anymore, traded it for the last POS I wanted.
Later troops, will keep you posted when the Burb comes to life.