PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pickup pump pressure??

nev62
06-21-2006, 23:48
Can someone tell me what the fuel pickup pump pressure should be? The replacement pump I brought is 6PSI and I'm starting to wonder if this is some of my air problems (injector pump pushing more fuel than the pickup pump is supplying).

DmaxMaverick
06-22-2006, 00:34
6 is normal. I've seen new OEM's from 4 to 12. GM doesn't recommend replacement if they are at 4 or above. Pressure isn't the key. It's all about volume. If your engine runs with the filter drain valve open, and fuel running out, it's fine. A good working LP (lift pump) shouldn't be a cause of air problems. I'd suspect a leak between the LP and tank. Perhaps a loose clamp or fitting? If you converted your rig from a gasser, it may have a small leak in the pickup tube. Gassers are much more tollerable of air, so a leak may have gone unnoticed.

nev62
06-22-2006, 04:37
Thanks, I'll keep on looking. The vehicle was a conversion but has always been diesel. It is so anoying not being able to find the cause that just started out of the blue. I'm now bleeding the filter every day. It idles fine but when the power is applied, starts surging, struggling and all the rest caused buy the air. I'm tempted to invert the second filter so the glass bowl is up the top and the fuel lines are down the bottom until I can get it sorted. At least it will give me an extra day between bleeding it off.:(

Ratau
06-27-2006, 01:56
There was a topic a week or so ago here on TDP about the same problem.

They put positive air pressure on the fuel tank and then checked for leaks along the fuel line.

nev62
06-27-2006, 06:54
There was a topic a week or so ago here on TDP about the same problem.

They put positive air pressure on the fuel tank and then checked for leaks along the fuel line.

I tried that two a couple of PSI with no luck. My problem here is that the Landcrusier tanks are not the strongest and are know for popping and/or splitting when pressureised. I think the problem now may be with the rear fuel filter (three peice). What I need is a self purging setup :o)

Ratau
06-27-2006, 23:59
I modified the system as follow: Used a gas fuel injection pump mounted at the tank and regulated the speed by using a 25 watt wire wound resistor set at

nev62
06-28-2006, 00:52
[QUOTE=Ratau]I modified the system as follow: Used a gas fuel injection pump mounted at the tank and regulated the speed by using a 25 watt wire wound resistor set at

Ratau
07-13-2006, 06:25
nev62

Send your e-mail address to glassblow@necsa.co.za I will take some pictures to send to you.