PDA

View Full Version : That extra hole in intake gasket

bmiszuk
06-21-2006, 10:51
After removing my intake manifold for the zillionth time, I decided to replace the intake gaskets. The old gaskets had the port between the middle cylinders blocked off, while the new gaskets have the hole there. Does it matter?

john8662
06-21-2006, 11:14
The hole is for EGR, what intake are you using?

I always get the one for an HD code 6.2 so that it has the blocker plates on it. My fear is that the exhaust gasses have the ability to burn the gasket and escape, but that fear is probably false.

When buying 6.5 gaskets, you only get one choice, the one w/o the blocker plates, kind of annoying considering the GM gaskets I took off had the plates. So, I just bought 6.2 gaskets, problem solved (as suggested by others).

J

panchosteam
06-21-2006, 19:15
Hi guys, while replacing the pump i also replaced the intake gasket,and the old one also had that extra hole covered by metal plates,the new ones i got didn't, i couldn't tell why? and now thanks to John i do now,does it matter if the holes are cover or not? i guess i should find the ones with the hole covered.

1984 sierra classic pick up 6.5 td
1986 k20 suburban 6.2 with some progress

john8662
06-21-2006, 22:32
You have a k20 burb, so most likely have a J series 6.2 engine that's non-egr, so even if you use the open gaskets, the gasses really don't have much of an option on where to go. Your choice really.

J

bmiszuk
06-22-2006, 06:20
John, I'm using a C series intake right now. This afternoon I'll be close to downtown and the boneyards, so I want to see if a J intake I saw is still sitting there. If so, I'm going to buy it and use it when I reassemble everything.