PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it

bmp34
06-20-2006, 22:18
I just got my truck with 180k on it and she runs like a top...knock on wood. I plan on doing cold air intake, 4in exhuast, new ring and pinion front and rear "3.42", new a/c compressor, replacing injectors, EGT gauge, boost gauge, new paint job, and having the pump freshend up. Bought the truck for $3300 with no rust. ext cab long box 4x4 5sp. My biggest question is all this stuff really worth it? How possible is it to get the truck to get to 250k with out rebuilding the drivetrain?

farmboy1989
06-21-2006, 06:14
The diff intake i aint familiar with but the bigger exhaust is a must on these trucks to help them breathe easier and keep your egt's down.As far as ring and pinion I would not change because this is discussed in one of the "sticky" threads and it states it would take probably more miles to break even than what you want out of the truck. Plus if you have 4:10's with that 5 speed you can pull durn near anything.A/C compressor replacement just happens sometimes on these.New injectors, egt gauge, and boost gauge are all a must, especially if you plan on turning up the boost or using a controller. The injectors are supposed to be replaced at 100k because spray pattern on them just tends to go away and they sort of dump fuel in.As far as the pump thats your call, I figure its already been replaced at some point in the trucks life.Just run an additive like "Power Service" and that should help the life of your pump. Most places you can find cheap good looking paint jobs as long as you dont go overboard, paint is owners preference.I display decals on my back window from my farming heritage and my involvement in "FFA".

tommac95
06-22-2006, 21:05
>>How possible is it to get the truck to get to 250k with out rebuilding the drivetrain?
Most likely depends on condition of particular vehicle. My fwd and rear diffs both leaked at pinions at 175K.

Check regularly that all the front-mounted engine accessories spin freely/quietly , as you can't hear incipient failure till too late.

Check/renew the harmonic balancer .