PDA

View Full Version : Various Newbie Questions

kevyon2r
06-20-2006, 01:35
Hello all,

I've recently had a conversion done on my '93 Nissan Patrol 4wd (sometimes called a Nissan Safari). I live in Perth, Western Australia. The conversion is a 6.5 litre V8, however I think this normally aspirated engine lends itself better to a 6.2 litre forum than a 6.5 turbo. Is this the case?

Questions, here goes:

1. What oil pressure should I expect when the engine is fully warmed up?

2. Is there any particular running in periods / mileage?

3. I have a problem that the cooling fan that it is almost constantly running, even though it is winter here in Australia and the engine is only pushing a 2 ton car around. The radiator is almost cold. The fan is the thermo clutch type. What could be the cause of this? When should the fan engage?

4. What is the identifications of the engine from the engine number? i.e. Can you tell what year it was originally manufactured?

5. Is there any other particulars that any of you can offer to a very new member to the club?

Best Regards,

Kevin

adele2408
06-20-2006, 12:53
If you let me have the engine numbers and letters I might be able to help as have book that gives details but there are loads of them so need more details.
regards
adele

jonflies
06-22-2006, 18:39
Kevin,

I've got an 82 6.2L and a 99 6.5L, and have had lots of fun reading on this web page. You'll probably want to refer to the 6.5L web site, because you probably still have an electronic injection system, only found on the 6.5.

I would advise searching the 6.5 section of the website for solenoid driver issues, cracked webs in the main bearings. Lots of problems with the solenoid drivers. I'm on my 4th pump and solenoid driver system.

I would think the fan is going to turn to some extent, no matter the temperature. I do believe I've read some great info on fans here at the website as well. Bolth my Suburbans are towing package versions, which have more blades on the fans as a feature. I recall reading that it is possible to find fan clutches that are hand picked for being calibrated closer to the actual specifications.

I had a stud girdle kit installed last year on my 99. While they had it apart, I had a new oil pump installed. My pressure is 60 psi or better on start and between 30 and 40 psi when warm. I only use Amsoil synthetic, with a bypass filter. I'm curious to know if your rig include oil coolers.