PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Plugs Under Motor Mounts

CedarGrove
06-19-2006, 20:26
Anyone here have any experience r & r'ing the freeze plugs that are under the motor mounts? Mine have cut loose and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Lewis

JeepSJ
06-20-2006, 08:54
Same as any other freeze plug, just harder to get to! You need to support the engine with a jack and pull the engine mount (support it with a jack stand, not a hydraulic jack while you are under it).

We blew a freeze plug out of our block during a desert race last weekend. We used the rubber plug from a fuel dump can and managed to finish.

CedarGrove
07-04-2006, 14:49
Hello all. Just wanted to report on the freeze plug job we did over the weekend. We pulled the radiator (had to be pulled for a different reason) and jacked gently on the oil pan. It seemed to hold up very well and we jacked the sucker a pretty fair piece to pull the motor mounts. The betrothed helped me on the driver's side and it went pretty quick. I was on my own for the passenger side and it was a little more difficult. Had to pull the starter and the lift pump was a bit in the way but only slightly so. Didn't need to remove it. Removing the rotten freeze plugs was the most difficult part of the operation as it was tough to get a good blow on them. I took a Dremel and made a good score in it where I could put a long screwdriver in and wack it from the side and was able to coerce them out. At the end of the near 100 degree day I looked like a minstrel performer...Covered head to toe in greasy black diesel goodness.

Take it slow, jack gently, pay attention, do one side at a time. Worked for me. Might as well replace your motor mounts while you're in there since you'll have them out for this operation. Mine were totally shot.