PDA

View Full Version : New Member with new truck

bmp34
06-18-2006, 20:39
I just got a hold of a 93 ext cab 4x4 manual with the 6.5td. I have been reading alot of people talking about black smoke and how it is a problem with boost. I was actually suprised how quick she got up to speed for being 13 years old. The truck also starts up quick and fine with a puff of black smoke. How can you tell it is a boost problem? If I shift mine way too early..of course black smoke will pour out, is that bad with a 6.5? NOTE: 180,000 miles on her. I actually plan on getting a boost and EGT gauge in the future. I am putting on a 4in exhaust and cold air intake. Will turning up the pump give me any extra power, and could some one give me a link on how to turn the pump up? Well these are just some topics I had some questions on and would greatly apprciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks

Robyn
06-19-2006, 07:47
You can temporarily tap in a manual boost gauge at the intake manifold tophat where the air temp sensor is. use a tee fitting and run the gauge up by the wiper arm so you can see it. Check to see that you are getting boost as the engine gets up to speed and load.
The 93 will no doubt smoke a little with a manual tranny as it is a manual pump.
With 180K on it I would be a little reserved about turning up the pump right off. These little beasties can only use so much fuel and if you see black smoke you are already tossing unburned fuel out the smoke stack. The new exhaust is a great way to go as is the gauge package.
A cold air intake system is always a good idea. The 6.5 being a non aftercooled engine can use some cooling on the air charge.
generally though with the low boost that the 6.5 runs an aftercooler is considered by many to be of little value. When you see boost pressures in the 15 pound area on up you need an aftercooler. With the 21.3 to 1 compression ration higher than stock boost pressures are a road to meltville.
The 93 if running properly and set up right will serve you very well.
If the rig still has the original injector nozzles in it they are most likely well worn.
I would pull one or two out and take them to your local diesel pump shop and have them "Pop" and "spray" test them.
You will most likely find they are way out of spec and need replacing.
Poorly functioning nozzles can still run fairly well and start ok but will not give you optimum power and will give a lot more smoke.
Depending on things too the pump may also need a freshening.
Personally I would get the pump and nozzles in top shape before looking at the aftermarket goodies.
Another thing to look at is to make sure that if the truck has a catalytic convertor that it is free flowing and not plugged up.
Depending on where you live and the trucks history it may already be gone.
Once you have all the systems working to spec then some aftermarket goodies can be a nice option to look at. Definately some gauges would be a good investment.

16gaSxS
06-19-2006, 13:45
BMP34;

Welcome too THE PAGE,:) this is IMNSHO the best resource of 6.5TD information. Robyn gave you some great advice. Please take a coupl of minutes to fill out the signture with your truck info so we do have to remember. The forum has a powerful search feature use to help you find threads on topics of intrest. ie 1993 6.5, manual IP, ect.