PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 crank pulley-must be made of gold

grade8nut
06-17-2006, 09:33
I was sittin at a red light the other day in my 6.2 suburban, and heard an awful noise under the hood. My first thought was a broken crank, but oil pressure and temperature were good. After a cold sweated inspection, I saw the rubber hanging out of damped v-belt crank pulley. I've looked everywhere for a new or used pulley. The only one I've found after a week of searching, is at the local chevy dealer for $300. I've searched the archives in this forum to see if anyone has an economical alternative, or other solution, but turned up nothing so far. I've even thought about switching over to a serpentine system, I can get the 6.5 damped serpentine pulley for $60 at OReilly's, and the rest of the pulleys used for less than $300 I would guess? But I dont know if they are interchangeable. I looked at my '82 6.2, and see that it has a non-damped sheetmetal pulley. I will push my suburban to work before I pay the dealer $300 for a pulley. I desperately need some veteran advice.
Thanks in advance,
Travis

Northern Wrangler 6.2
06-17-2006, 10:29
Call the parts experts at Team Chevrolet in Scottsbluff Nebraska, 308-632-2173.....guaranteed best prices and quick, free delivery to anywhere in the lower 48.....can't be, won't be beat....

I saved a ton on my h-balancer and pulley for my 86, was a fraction of the GM price here...

Kev

Northern Wrangler 6.2
06-17-2006, 10:31
Trav: Don't buy used, it won't be any good. Trust me, been there, done that...

Kev

bmiszuk
06-17-2006, 10:43
I bought my pulley for about $100 from Team in Scottsbluff also. Definitely worth giving them a call.

grade8nut
06-17-2006, 12:47
Thank you all for the quick and very helpful replies. I'm calling Team Chevrolet in Scottsbluff today. I hope to be back on the road next week. That's a heavy vehicle to push from job to job ;)
Travis

grade8nut
06-17-2006, 13:38
I just got off the phone with Team Chevrolet. They also want $300 fer the pulley. Can I just put on a non damped pulley like my '82 has?
bmiszuk said "I bought my pulley for about $100 from Team in Scottsbluff also. Definitely worth giving them a call."

Mr. bmiszuk, is your pulley damped or not? also is it a v-belt or serpentine?

I realize I'm sounding cheap, but $300 fer a pulley?.....
Travis

bmiszuk
06-17-2006, 16:14
Mine is a the dampened V-belt pulley that mounts on the crankshaft. Are we talking about the same thing?

wthif
06-17-2006, 18:45
As long as the groves are the same size you can use the pulley off your '82.

Go to gmpartsdirect.com for a better price on the newer type pulley. You'll need the part number, but I think it goes for about 160 there is memory serves me correctly.

Robyn
06-17-2006, 19:34
They went to the dampened pulleys to stop the harmonics that set up in the belts.
The older ones really made a bunch of noise.
The serp drive systems can be used as long as you get the one that has the alternator, power steering and AC units in the right place otherwise you need to rewire a little and move some hoses on the AC
I switched my 84 Blazer over to 92 65.5 Burb stuff in preparation to use the engine in a KIT HUMVEE project.
The 82 pulley should get you moving though as the change was done to imprve creature comfort as well as belt and water pump life.
The harmonics was tough on the belt drive and equipment.
A lot of older rigs went millions of miles though with the non dampened stuff.

grade8nut
06-23-2006, 19:32
Thanks all for the help. I put the '82 pulley on, and everything fit just fine. I found the original problem to the broken crank pulley. The AC compressor was trying to lock up. After putting everything back together, I made it about 4 miles before I lost the AC belt (actually I found part of it sittin on top of the engine). I finished putting a new AC compressor on tonite. She's runnin and coolin like a champ!