PDA

View Full Version : Leaking lube/oil from rear differential.

bdv
06-16-2006, 09:58
I have had the Suburban out of action for several months. I am doing EFI to MFI swap. While I am at it I have taken to up-grading a lot of systems. Cooling, timing, fuel, block (stud griddle) etc. So the Suburban has been sitting in the garage with the front on low jack stands to make it easier to work on the engine. Went under recently to install new secondary Parker fuel filter and noticed that there was any oil stain on the floor under differential. When I looked closer noticed that there is oil coming out around fill plug-hole. The front part of differential has what looks like old oil stain around it but no liquid. With the plug in and the Suburban just sitting for month how can there be enough pressure to force the oil out? With oil stains on the front of the differential (where the drive shaft connects) is there a seal that I should replace? How do I do this? Thanks for the help.

Brent

More Power
06-16-2006, 14:25
The article we produced in late 2004 about a Rear Axle Rebuild (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/randys.htm) includes some info about the pinion seal. :) Getting the ring & pinion backlash correct after removing the pinion nut and replacing the seal is the hard part. The article linked here shows how it's done.

Jim