PDA

View Full Version : Coming along ... 6.2 refresh Q

snoman87
06-14-2006, 13:17
It's finally coming along ... just got my final engine related item installed ... EGT :) It's working properly my regular city driving is in the 600-800 range, highway is in the 800-900 range. I am going to wait until I get a load on before turning up the fuel.

I also picked up a tranny tunnel at the wrecker during lunch. This one doesn't have a huge square hole (current tunnel) where the round manual shifter hole should be!!!!!!

So, now the only thing that it really needs is a 6.2 refresh ... I have my spare 90's 6.2 (599 block/567 heads) and I am thinking taking apart for inspection. Any problem prone areas to look for when tearing appart? My intent is to re-ring and re-install, and replace only what's necassary at this time.

Thanks

wthif
06-14-2006, 14:06
It's finally coming along ... just got my final engine related item installed ... EGT :) It's working properly my regular city driving is in the 600-800 range, highway is in the 800-900 range. I am going to wait until I get a load on before turning up the fuel.

Maybe it is me but your EGTs seem high for no load. Are these numbers from accelerating or from cruising at city and highway speeds? Have you had you timing check/set after turbo install? Personally when I'm cruising down a flat piece of highway around 75 to 80 mph I don't see EGTs much above 600 and in town 300 to 600 depending on what I'm doing. Of course all of these numbers are much higher when I'm hot roding it. Even when driving my mountain highways in 3rd going 60 mph I'm usually in the high 700s to mid 800s tops.

Could someone else chime in about the EGTs I'm curious now.

Glad to hear things are coming along.

john8662
06-14-2006, 14:22
Should be lower than that.

I think the norm is 600 *F down the highway, lower in town driving.

What cha got for an EGT gauge (brand, make etc.).

How much smoke (black) are you seeing?

As for the rebuild, get ready for some fun! Actually, just removing the heads will tell you most of the story on what you're going to have to do on the engine. Plan on a full rebuild, with an overbore, especially with a used engine, it was remove for some reason right?

Look for ring groove on cylinder wall (will be more pronounced at the top upper part of the bore (as opposed to lower).

And.. Of course, look for cracks on the main webbings (and cross your fingers).

snoman87
06-14-2006, 17:28
after driving home I realized that the EGT numbers I gave are a little high ... 250 to 550/600 on had ecelleration is probably more realistic. I have an autometer EGT.

I'd like to do a complete rebuilt with all the upgrades including a marine 4911 but my pocket book will not support that right now. The engine was remove running when the company upgraded all there trucks with new bodies, engines and trannies.