PDA

View Full Version : Electric lift pump conversion

Big E
06-11-2006, 14:00
My mechanical lift pump needs to be replaced, I want to convert to an electric pump to make the thing a little easier to work on and free up some room in that area; its really tight with the Banks system.
Will an aftermarket gas electric pump work?; if not, what year/make truck will use the pump I need for this conversion?

Thanks,
Eric

'84 Suburban 4x4, 6.2L/Banks, GV overdrive

snoman87
06-11-2006, 15:53
I used a lift pump from a 90's 6.5TD powered truck ... remove the mechanical pump and get a TBI 350 or 454 fuel pump block-off plate. Insert the inline pump on the frame rail in front of the tank switcher, route the fuel line up to bypass the mechanical pump and run a power wire.

http://www3.telus.net/gmc62td/6.2TDSwap/t-case_exhaust.JPG

Big E
06-11-2006, 16:20
That was the image I was looking for !; my parts house could not tell me if the 6.5 TD pump was in-tank or not.

THANKS

-Eric

DmaxMaverick
06-11-2006, 17:59
If you switch to an electric, be sure include a failsafe in the wiring. The easiest is an oil pressure switch and relay, like the early 6.5's, or kennedydiesel.com 's electronic controller.

Not doing this can lead to disasterous results. In a collision, there would be nothing to stop the fuel flow if a line ruptures with power to the pump.

mhagie
06-11-2006, 20:35
I used a lift pump from a 90's 6.5TD powered truck ... remove the mechanical pump and get a TBI 350 or 454 fuel pump block-off plate. Insert the inline pump on the frame rail in front of the tank switcher, route the fuel line up to bypass the mechanical pump and run a power wire.

http://www3.telus.net/gmc62td/6.2TDSwap/t-case_exhaust.JPG
Where did you get the fittings for the 90's pump? I have a 93-98 electric lift pump and would like to find the fittings for it.
Dealer?
Merle

BobND
06-12-2006, 00:18
You can get a Federal-Mogul/Carter electric lift pump identical in appearance to the OEM units for the newer trucks with 3/8" hose barbs built in, so no fittings are needed.

(They are rated for gas or diesel fuel use, and pressure is appropriate.)

I have the number at the shop, and could post it tomorrow night, if you are interested. 'Most any auto supply ought to be able to get them.

I recently installed one on my 1984 Sub.

Contrary to what the factory did, I mounted mine way back, just ahead of the tank, as those "solenoid pumps" are better "pushers" than "pullers", and according to some factory literature, the near to the tank the better.

snoman87
06-12-2006, 09:12
Where did you get the fittings for the 90's pump? I have a 93-98 electric lift pump and would like to find the fittings for it.
Dealer?
Merle

I could have gotten a double flanger and made it 6.5 factory like but I was lazy ... I went to a local parts store and got some fittings that went from the pumps threads to a hose barb with a short peice of hose.

Subzilla
06-12-2006, 09:22
I've put one of these on each of my 6.2's on the firewall after the filters with a toggle switch inside the cab for service convinience. So far, I haven't had any problems in about 2 years of service. Just make sure you have a filter leading into the pump per the instructions. Once I turned the switch off to check some other electrical stuff and forgot to turn the pump back on. It started sort of ok but was idling a little rough. Above idle, the engine ran fine and it took a few miles of concern down the road before I realized what I had done. Thank goodness for a good strong injector pump.