PDA

View Full Version : belt squeal...arrgghhh !!

Northern Wrangler 6.2
06-09-2006, 05:17
Any suggestions or recommendations for curing constant loose belt syndrome ? Or do I have to convert to serpentine ?

Is there a better belt ?

#'s please.....or brand recommendations....I'm going nuts.

PowerSteering belt tightening is a joke on this truck.....4 mounting spots and no good way to pull it tight !! DUH !

THX

Ratau
06-09-2006, 07:05
Alignment is critical. I only have problems with the alternator belt as the alternator is a replacement. I suspect the diameter is to small it's only 65mm.

Could you measure the alternator pulley diameter please.

NH2112
06-09-2006, 08:39
PowerSteering belt tightening is a joke on this truck.....4 mounting spots and no good way to pull it tight !! DUH !

THX

Do you have AC? If so, I've found that if you use a 10" adjustable wrench on the bracket (next to the pump) you can pull it nice and tight and hold it while tightening a couple of the bolts. I'd thought about making a tightening tool by cutting a 3/16" groove in the middle of a 2' long 3/4" bar but never got around to it.

Ratau
06-11-2006, 22:28
Yes I got AC, I first release the AC belt tighten the PS belt as it also works as a jockey for the AC and then tighten the AC belt again.

Could someone measure the alternator pulley for me please.

Northern Wrangler 6.2
06-12-2006, 05:47
no AC on mine.....I'm trying cogged belts now, hoping they'l slip less.....

john8662
06-12-2006, 07:49
One belt accross the powersteering pump kinda reeks. Its seems to help when there is one tight belt on the powersteering pump, and another that rides on it that carriest the load for the a/c, whether it works or not.

Anyways, I prefer the Dayco Top Cog belts. You can tighten the powersteering with the keyhole. It's only accessable from underneath. Take a 1/2" drive short extension (2-3"), insert the extension in the keyhole underneath, then your ratchet. I always find it necessary to take a large socket and another extension to insert on the end of the ratchet handle, more leverage to tighten the belt.

Hope this helps!

J