PDA

View Full Version : How to size tranny oil cooler

HammerWerf
06-07-2006, 09:20
Folks,
I have installed a +2 qt. oil pan on the TH400 in my 83CC. This is part of improving the cooling of the oil and engine project like so many have done, I included a temperature guage.

What I have noticed is as follows. The oil heats up slowly, in comparison to the water. The Tranny Hx is the factory in the Hot tank, thermostat is a RS 180*. I replaced the radiator last Aug, with a 4 row unit.

My family likes to go up into the local mountains for some recreation on the weekends. To get to some of these sites, the roads we take are your typical mt. roads: dirt, steep, winding, rutted. The grade
on some of these roads are up to 10%. Speed is usually around 5-10 mph. The load is fairly light stuf, a couple of bicycles, and food. Summer time temperatures can reach 100*F. I also noticed that the oil was very slow to cool, even with about a half an hour of flat to downhill driving. The temperature we are seeing is about 185*F on the road (Tank Temp), but in the Mts., the temp climbed to 210 or a bit more.

How does one size an aux Hx for this type of use. And would a fan or two be a good idea? Does the trany oil pump move much fluid at idle, and/or at speed?
Thanks for the help.
HammerWerf

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2006, 10:39
The mfg's rate cooler cores by GVW. For any non-lockup tranny, I suggest a cooler as large as you can get, fit, and justify the funds for. The temp controlled fans are nice, too, especially in your (our) geography. Ideally, the core should be located out of the radiator path, yet still in fresh air flow, with appropriately rated fan(s). The jury's still out on keeping the radiator core or not, but the tranny needs to be able to get up to operating temp ASAP. Fluid that is too cool is nearly as bad as too hot. 210