PDA

View Full Version : DaimlerChrysler Stops Making Diesel SUV

diesel65
06-05-2006, 16:42
It was announced today D/C is not offering the diesel package in the Liberty for 2007. The current diesel engine does not meet the strict 2007 emission rules.
D/C says it wasn't cost effective to replace it with a newer version.

ZZ
06-05-2006, 16:50
They may be dropping the ball on this one. There is money to be made in the Diesel car market.

Driveshaft
06-11-2006, 06:13
No doubt, on dropping the ball. I was going to look into this vehicle in the coming year.

tommac95
07-05-2006, 06:27
Thats too bad.

A recent article in NTYs autos section indicated that the legislators were tending toward regulations that would aim at minimizing nitrogen oxides as well as soot, etc. The rules would require a technology involving a consumable in an additional tank that would halve to be topped up every 3-10K Mi {maybe ammonia for the catalysts Selective Catalytic Reduction??}, considered beyond the technical(or enforcement) capabilities of the average driver/traffic-cop.

I agree this an example of excessive regs, mistaken.

Tough Guy
07-23-2006, 16:20
I am still somewhat shocked that they have to pull the plug on the 2.8L CRD in it current form, when the gasser (3.7L) V-6 gets up to 10 mpg less fuel economy then the Diesel!! :mad: If the CRD is that much more fuel efficent then the gasser how can it be worse for the enviroment? :confused: I recently went on a 900+ mile road trip with the CRD and traveling at speeds higher than 75 mph the round trip average was just over 26mpg...I am glad I bought one. Best money I ever spent.

Chris

ZZ
07-23-2006, 16:56
Wasn't the reason that they dropped it because they couldn't meet the 2007 emmisions?

Tough Guy
07-23-2006, 17:13
Wasn't the reason that they dropped it because they couldn't meet the 2007 emmisions?

Yes, that is correct.

My point is... which would cause more damage to the environment...the CRD that didn't pass the strict 2007 emissions or a 3.7L gasser that gets up to 10 mpg less fuel economy than the Diesel? What about the impact on Americans pocketbook when the price of fuel is already as high as it is? There has to be a middle ground. D/C will be introducing a new Diesel engine for 2007 in the Grand Cherokee but not in the Liberty...

Chris

ZZ
07-23-2006, 17:21
I fully agree with you. The great ignorant EPA greenheads don't have or use common sense. They force their goofy ideaology on the rest of us. They need to be busted up and only do what they were setup to do in the first place, and that is watch over streams & rivers.

ronniejoe
07-24-2006, 05:02
Remember this in November...

We need to abolish completely the EPA!

JeepSJ
07-24-2006, 21:51
Yes, that is correct.

My point is... which would cause more damage to the environment...the CRD that didn't pass the strict 2007 emissions or a 3.7L gasser that gets up to 10 mpg less fuel economy than the Diesel? What about the impact on Americans pocketbook when the price of fuel is already as high as it is? There has to be a middle ground. D/C will be introducing a new Diesel engine for 2007 in the Grand Cherokee but not in the Liberty...

Chris

Just like gas here in CA. In trying to clean it up, the result is a 10-20% reduction in economy. I can go to AZ and fill up and pull almost 18mpg on the freeway, and in CA I have to stretch to get 16. So, what is better/worse - 16mpg on CA gas or 18mpg on AZ gas? Plus we get the honor of paying 35-40 cents per gallon more in CA.

Heartbeat Hauler
07-26-2006, 06:46
I'm bettin' that this is a temporary move on D-C's part until they can get a redesigned engine package. They have many diesels already and I'm sure they can adapt one or make design changes to get the Liberty back to smoker status.
JP

Heartbeat Hauler
07-26-2006, 21:52
I'm bettin' that this is a temporary move on D-C's part until they can get a redesigned engine package. They have many diesels already and I'm sure they can adapt one or make design changes to get the Liberty back to smoker status.
JP
Well, I just read that the Liberty is out, and it's the Grand getting a D-C 3.0L diesel in 2007 1/2. IIRC it was a 236hp & 369 ft lbs 1600-2800 RPMs.
JP

ZZ
07-27-2006, 08:58
This is good news. I was afraid that they would throw their hands up in the air and quit.

john8662
08-03-2006, 11:45
Saw the commercial on TV (yeah the rare time I actually watched TV) for D/C advertising new "Clean Diesel" versions. Of course, the vehicles were completly muddy, was pretty funny.

I was pleased as well to see that an ULSD ready engine is still planned.

Trying to talk ma and pa into buying one of the current ones...

ToddMeister
08-04-2006, 05:38
I was reading a trade magazine recently and the new Mercedes clean diesel has four (yes 4!) exhaust aftertreatment devices. Can you say back pressure!

ogrice
08-04-2006, 20:02
Keep in mind guys about who out there is trying to prevent the USA from going diesel.

The oil companies to no surprise.

If the oil companies can spread enough lobbyist cash dollars around to the politicians, you can bet your life that emissions restrictions or sulfur content restrictions or particulate trap restrictions or another EPA restriction, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......... Thus making diesel powered cars and trucks harder, more expensive and more complex to own and maintain. Detering the average consumer from benefitting from the inherent advantages of diesel power.

The oil companies are literally shaking in there boots right now with the nightmares that the USA will open up to diesel automobiles vice gasoline power or hybrid or electric or hydrogen gas or the latest fashion trends in the consumer auto market.

I'll say that mainstream diesel power on the roads of the USA will be like striking oil for the first time in the state of Texas. The changes to the economy and the World will be profound if the USA goes diesel.

I'm doing my part and have gone diesel with my truck and my car.