PDA

View Full Version : Airdog Preporator

signgrafix
06-04-2006, 13:39
I was watching the the truck universe yesterday and it had a very small thing on the Airdog Preporator. Of course the show is basically a commercial for products but, this product seemed pretty interesting and sounded real good. It takes the air out of the fuel. Anybody know anything about this? what is the price of these things? are they worth the cost?

Hubert
06-05-2006, 04:39
Not that I know but I see some ads on various similar products. Mostly hear about them on bigger diesels that require more fuel. And on big marine diesels too. A stock 6.5 does not require one the lift pump is way too weak to add any air to the fuel. Might be some gain if you heavily modify the fuel delivery. The DS pump likes a little more fuel through put.

Warren96
06-05-2006, 05:21
That was on Sunday.It interested me because they mentioned an additional fuel tank mounted in the bed.The extra fuel tank in mine never needed an air seperator to take air out of the fuel.I have never even used a 2'nd fuel filter for it.The stock fuel management system works very well! Of course you do have to replace the stock filter once a year.Oh..one final thought....you do use clean fuel, right?

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 05:56
Oh..one final thought....you do use clean fuel, right?[/QUOTE]
I guess I do, Usually I get my diesel from Thorntons service/gas station.

As far as the air dog product, they claim that this is one is made especially for the small trucks.

Hubert
06-05-2006, 06:49
Small trucks is relative. The 6.5 just isn't in the same class as other small trucks anymore.

The product was meant for the modified Cummins and Powerstrokes. Not sure about the Duramax fuel system I thought the IP sucked fuel by itself ???? I don't know.

IMHO a modified 6.5 with DS IP would see a slight improvement in power with better LP, fuel cooler (warm/hot climate), and some type of product like this but I am pretty sure a stock truck would see zero measurable gain.

Kennedy
06-05-2006, 08:16
I think the air removal thing is BS. Old fuel systems with a transfer pump on the engine COULD see a lot of entrained air in the system and the mechanical nature of the injectors "pop" pressure could be retarded by the presence of air, BUT in my experience simply adding a lift pump near the tank will do just as much with less noise, plumbing etc.