PDA

View Full Version : 95 6.5L Stalling problem

AndyLBZ
06-04-2006, 09:02
I too am having trouble with my 95 6.5L Stalling without warning. This is the engine that was featured a few years ago in the article "Power by Design" The truck has 140,000 miles and the engine has 20,000 miles on it. DS4 with high pop injectors, remote mounted FSD Cooler, Kennedy T-REX chip, Penninsular Marine turbo, etc. It runs great for about 15 minutes and then just quits. Let it sit for a minute or two and its strarts right back up and runs great. Last year I had the same problem with different symptoms. It didn't just quit, it would miss and hesitate and then quit. Now it just quits dead instantly. I had the injection pump tested after the problem last year. Pump checked out fine-it was an intermitten fuel shut off solenoid. Problem solved. Not more than 5000 miles later same problem, but worse. I checked connections to the PMD and battery cables - everything looks good, new batteries, no codes flashing, swapped out the PMD with a different one. Checked all connections at the injection pump. Still can't figure it out!

Thanks

More Power
06-04-2006, 13:55
Hi Andy,

Check for power on circuit #539 at the fuel shut-off solenoid and the FSD. This is the ignition power circuit. Should be there whenever the key is on. I'd also check the ground circuits as well.

The Member Area Stalling Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm) includes more circuit info.

Jim

GMCHORSHAM
06-05-2006, 02:47
Andy, MP has given you a good start point.
Never under estimate the importance of good battery conections.
Three months after I had change my batteries, I struck problems
where the engine would quit, then start right up. I then had a fuel
lift problem and a situation that nothing electrical would operate inside the
cab.
Anyway the problem was battery cable corrosion, even though I had
cleaned them three month prior to having problems.
The computers in these engine must have a consistant power supply, a minimal amount of corrosion on a battery terminal, can prevents this from happening.
This can lead to a number of problems, that would not necessarily be diagnosed as battery terminals.
I am not saying that this is the be all of your problem. I am saying be
100% sure you eliminate this from the equasion, before proceeding further.
As I have experienced in the past, sometimes we ignore the small important things, and start searching for a bigger problem.
Just to find out that it was the small important thing that has caused
us the frustration.
Hope you sort out the problem sooner than latter.
Regards: Rod.

brianblack138
06-08-2006, 15:36
I actually had used some terminal cleaner on my battery terminals and then used a "sealant/protectant" to prevent future corrosion... Only problem is... I applied it too thick and wasn't able to get good contact to the negative terminal. The truck would start to crank and then just stall out.

Removed, cleaned with a wire brush and reattached the terminal connection and it worked flawlessly.

AndyLBZ
06-12-2006, 05:16
I am currently checking all the things listed, but I have one problem. If I have an intermitten 12v to the PMD, I can test for it and if the truck runs, then obviously there is 12v. Driving down the road poses a challenge for checking that 12v power and it is only a problem when you are driving. Could I add a switched 12v power supply to this Pink/Blk wire in the remote PMD Harness? I would then be eliminating all of the wiring going to the PMD and it would still be energized by the ignition switch. I am going to make sure that everything else checks out first, but I have a feeling that I am still going to have an intermitten problem. I would have to think that giving the PMD a fresh ground and power would eliminate a lot of potentially bad connections. These trucks have a ridiculous amount of connections under the hood and being 11 years old with 150,000 miles does not bode well for them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys