PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to replacing the thermostats?

DennisG01
05-31-2006, 07:11
I can't imagine this is a hard thing to do, I've just never done it before. Is there anything special to replacing the two thermostats? Do I need a gasket? I bought 195* Robertshaw stats through Kennedy.

Robyn
05-31-2006, 07:27
Very straight forward
Drain the coolant down some so you dont get a mess when you remove the stats.
Unbolt the stat covers and remove. ( they may be stuck slightly)
Scrape off the old gasket material.
insert the stat as marked. (there should be a marking that says "to radiator"
Or replace same as the old ones came out.
Place gasket on top of stat as original was and bolt the cover back on.
Put the coolant back in and poof your done.
I am wondering why you chose the 195 stats, 180 is easier on the engine. These little beasties dont like heat that well and the extra 15 degrees can best be left outside.

OHHH I little smear of hi temp silicone on both sides of the gasket can help make sure you dont get leaks.

Robyn

DennisG01
05-31-2006, 07:56
Thanks, Robyn. I went with John Kennedy's recommendation on the 195* stats. He said with a good system, there shouldn't be any problems in regards to overheating. He also said the 195's will help the engine run more efficiently. By the way, where did you drain the coolant from? I have heard that it is awkward to do. But I must admit that I haven't actually looked at it myself.

Hubert
05-31-2006, 07:58
Last thing to do is air purge. There should be a little brass bleed screw somewhere on crossover. Gotta burb out any air trapped on refil.

As always might want to have a magnet pickup tool just in case. I dropped a bolt under stuff. Also iirc I loosened the ac compressor and shifted it for more room.

Robyn it all depends on who you ask about the temperature and strategies behind the temp.

The diesel actually likes the hotter engine. Hot engine and cold intake air is the goal. Now for underhood temps it gets to be more of a debate and might depend on normal environment and other mods. I am torn and opted for 180F. I live in the south and in stop and go traffic underhood temps are brutal for more of the year than not.

Keith W
06-01-2006, 23:18
I'm just messing with the blown heads on my G3500 van, and I notice that it is pretty much impossible to get to the thermostat bolts (at least the bottom ones) without removing the turbocharger! I guess that must be different in a pickup? Or am I just missing something? Also, perhaps it was from a serious overheating, but those bolts were TIGHT! I was worried they would shear off, even with penetrating oil.

Keith

jerry598
11-23-2008, 13:45
Has anybody out there run both a 180 and a 195 degree stat in the dual stat crossover system? The 180's I've been running on my 95 6.5 modified dual stat crossover seem to be simply too cold in winter. Would a combo be the same? Or should I go up to 195 degree for both?

95 6.5 turbo dually
upgraded exhaust
upgraded to HO water pump and dual crossover stat housing
upgraded to 180 fan clutch and 9 blade fan

DmaxMaverick
11-23-2008, 13:59
I would be more inclined to use a 195° and a 205°. I would be sure the rest of the cooling system is healthy. The benefit would be increased power and economy. Using NPG coolant could also increase your efficiency. As long as the temp can be controlled, hotter is better.

john8662
11-23-2008, 14:52
I'm just messing with the blown heads on my G3500 van, and I notice that it is pretty much impossible to get to the thermostat bolts (at least the bottom ones) without removing the turbocharger! I guess that must be different in a pickup? Or am I just missing something? Also, perhaps it was from a serious overheating, but those bolts were TIGHT! I was worried they would shear off, even with penetrating oil.

Keith

Your Van has the rear mounted turbocharger, different from the truck/sub configuration for sure.

I can image that would be tight working clearances in the van, always have been.