PDA

View Full Version : Where can I put a second alternator on my 1994?

Warren96
05-30-2006, 16:39
I have seen the instalation on '96 and up,has anyone added a second alternator to a '94?

signgrafix
05-31-2006, 12:33
I think I remember seeing pictures of a second alternator in the books I got from this site by kennedy. It looks pretty tight to me. I think if I was bound and determined to add a second alternator, I would have it run by the driveshaft. Yes, It does not charge when the truck is sitting still and you have to take the drive shaft loose when you put on a nw belt but how often do you have to do that? not much.

ronniejoe
05-31-2006, 12:59
There is an ambulance package for the 1995 and earlier trucks similar to the one mentioned in the write-up for the 1996 and later trucks. I've researched it a little and would like to install it on my truck. Check with the GM dealer about it. I've been asked if my Suburban has two alternators when buying a new belt before.

tommac95
06-01-2006, 21:28
>>I've been asked if my Suburban has two alternators when buying a new belt before.

Me too. Next time i'll try to get some part #s.

stingthieves
06-02-2006, 13:08
I think if I was bound and determined to add a second alternator, I would have it run by the driveshaft.

That

signgrafix
06-02-2006, 13:26
[QUOTE=stingthieves]That

ronniejoe
06-02-2006, 15:34
and... there was no drain on the engine. More horsepower.

Where do you think the power came from to run it back there?:rolleyes:

Bobbie Martin
06-02-2006, 17:54
A
I would think you might exercise just a "bit' more tack!

I dunno, seemed to the point to me.
However, maybe he could have used more tact - but then so could I!

signgrafix
06-03-2006, 00:21
Where do you think the power came from to run it back there?:rolleyes:
No kidding, ya think? I realize that. I did not think I would have to explain it but I guess I do. With it actually on the engine it places a direct drag on the engine as it makes the horsepower. With it on the driveshaft, the engine has already produced the horsepower and distributed it through the drivetrain. It is the belief, and it makes sense to me that it does not take AS MUCH to turn the alternator off the driveshaft as it does off the front of the engine through pullies that are already taxed by power steering, water pumps, etc.

ronniejoe
06-03-2006, 08:13
Sorry to break it to you, but it takes every bit as much to turn it there as it does on the engine. It doesn't save a thing.

If you're worried about saving horsepower for a drag race, install a cutout switch on the field excitation. Let the alternator just free-wheel on the way down the track, then turn it back on in the shut down area and ride back to the pits.

moondoggie
06-03-2006, 10:12
Good Day!

Ditto RJ - 1 hp = 746 watts @ 100% efficiency. It doesn't matter where or how you get it.

I think RJ's idea about cutting out the field is the best idea, as long as it's done in a way that can't hurt the alternator; I don't think a simple switch would hurt anything, but "buyer beware."

That doesn't make moving the alternator to the driveshaft a bad idea, especially if it was necessary to make more under-hood room. Kinda hard to change the belt, though...

Blessings!

Brian Johnson

signgrafix
06-03-2006, 12:19
I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole arguement/discussion.

restoguy
06-03-2006, 13:22
This is all good info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm 'staging' and looking at a 'christmas tree' from the seat of my '94 K2500 TD. But until then, if anyone comes up with pictures or part numbers for the dual alt. kit to fit the older trucks, please post it. I have been looking for this for a while but had finally decided that it must not have been offered until the later models. The fact the you guys have been asked about dual alts. on your subs tells me either it was avaliable or the part companies publishing the part books don't know what the heck they are talking about. I've run into the latter a time or two.

ronniejoe
06-03-2006, 13:34
I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole arguement/discussion.

That's fine. Your disagreement is not based on engineering principles, though. It's based on superstition. You'll get no more argument from me.;)

Warren96
06-03-2006, 14:36
Winston cup racers (oops!) Nextel cup racers hang something similar off the back of the driveshaft,is'nt that a pump for the rear axlefluid?

moondoggie
06-03-2006, 16:25
[font=times][size=+]Good Day!

"I think here is where we will have to agree to disagree. I am not going to turn this into a big ole argument/discussion." If you

tommac95
06-05-2006, 19:04
Signgrafix-
I've enjoyed most of your commentary...and feel free to do what you like with your alternator. But alternators are designed for high output at high revs, which would be hard to configue from the driveshaft. There's also the issue of road-sand and splash/mist ingress , not a great location for reliable on-road application. Reliability and adequate output at low revs are the (presumed) goal(s) here. The dragster configuration doesn't fulfill either , though it is an interesting option.
I'd like to have a 10-25 KW PTO generator, or an Auragen:

http://www.emergencyapparatus.com/auragen.html

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003triservice/gold.pdf

http://www.aurasystems.com/techinfo.htm

signgrafix
06-05-2006, 20:39
Signgrafix-
I've enjoyed most of your commentary...and feel free to do what you like with your alternator. But alternators are designed for high output at high revs, which would be hard to configue from the driveshaft. There's also the issue of road-sand and splash/mist ingress , not a great location for reliable on-road application. Reliability and adequate output at low revs are the (presumed) goal(s) here. The dragster configuration doesn't fulfill either , though it is an interesting option.
I'd like to have a 10-25 KW PTO generator, or an Auragen:

http://www.emergencyapparatus.com/auragen.html

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2003triservice/gold.pdf

http://www.aurasystems.com/techinfo.htm

You know the funny thing is, It was not even me who wanted a second alternator. Somebody else posted the question about putting another alternator. It was just a suggestion that I gave him. Somehow, it turned into a debate on how much horsepower it took and if it took more or less to turn the alternator on the driveshaft.

trbankii
06-06-2006, 04:59
Getting things back on track... :)

Does anyone actually have part numbers for the ambulance setup?

moondoggie
06-06-2006, 05:30
Good Day!

signgrafix: Excellent point. I apologize for my part in highjacking this thread. :o

As before, I wonder if the local PD/FD might let a guy peek under the hood with a digital camera in hand.

Blessings!

(signature in previous post)

signgrafix
06-06-2006, 12:34
Getting things back on track... :)

Does anyone actually have part numbers for the ambulance setup?

I knew I had seen it somewhere!!! it is right here on the diesel page website!!
here is the link.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/dualalt.htm

Hopefully, this will pay for my sins in believing it takes less to turn an alternator from the driveshaft than from pullies on the engine.

atom_c
06-06-2006, 21:28
Sorry to rehijack the thread, but what if you're going down a big hill and the drive shaft is a spinnin anyway! Isn't that almost free juice from your driveshaft mounted alternator? Actually, I think I'm fine with one functioning alternator, for now.

Adam