PDA

View Full Version : do I need a new oilcooler

jackie g
08-13-2004, 23:17
Just purchased a new 6.5 long block they suggested that I also replace the oilcooler. I have removed the old one an it looks good.I would like to know if a person could test the old one?

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2004, 04:47
Howdy
I think maybe the reason they said to replace the old one was to get rid of possible contamination. I think the type of oil coolers we have are VERY hard to get flushed good and the oil that is in them circulates the block before it goes back to the filter, I think???? I also have a new long block and I think I'm just going to flush mine out as good as I can. I am replaceing all the lines and putting on a remote/bypass filter kit. Is your long block a Navistar? What happened to your old engine?
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93

jackie g
08-14-2004, 06:00
Well Hello
I have had my 93 3/4 ton 4x4 from new it has close to 400k on it.I have had no major problem with it until about two years ago it had to have the rad. replace. Not long after it blew the side open again on the new rad. They replaced it. Well again this spring after hearing some different noises with some had starting and only wanting to run on 7 cyl at start up it went in to be services at the local dealer only to be told it was a high miler with a bad set of rings.Not long after it blew the second rad. Performance rad also replaced this one at no cost.I will be installing this rad with my new 6.5 that I purchased from dsg the new hummer style with the stud girtle and the timing gears.I'm hoping to get another 11yrs out of it.

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2004, 06:51
Howdy
sounds like a winner! Make sure that your block has the Navistar double diamond logo in the valley.
I wish I had your luck! My block cracked with only 140k miles!

jackie g
08-14-2004, 16:45
Hi.
I'm not sure what you me by the navistar double diamond!
My top end is all together. Are the diamonds together?? I can peek inside somewhat.
The oilcooler line are ok just dirty.I will do the same as you and just flush it out. My thinking is that because my engine did not come to abrupt stop that the oil shouldn't be contaminated with any metal. After replacing the original starter which hurt, I'm counting pennies.
Jack g
Quesnel,B.C.

Dvldog 8793
08-14-2004, 19:59
Howdy
the Navistar logo is more like 2 triangles put end to end. It should be located in the valley under the injector pump. it is called a double diamond but is more like a double triangle! :rolleyes: According to the AM general guys that is the only way to determine FOR SURE that you have a new style good "molly block" as they call it. Hope this helps! I just came in from putting my new engine in. Now just to bolt up all the junk that is hanging around!
L8r
Conley Janssen

jackie g
08-14-2004, 20:28
Hi
That sounds great.
I can see the two triangle under the pump.Also an N and a S farther down.
I had planned to drop the engine in tonight also but the new block has metric motor mounting bolts in the block.7/16" threads in about 4 turn before getting tight. Only in canada eh. You don't know what wrench to grab.I will have to wait until tomorrow to see what is open. DSG had sent metric bolts but just for the tranny.
I have a question. I installed high output injector 1900psi,do you know what effect that will have with my stock mechanical pump.
Jack

Barry Nave
08-15-2004, 02:54
New motor,hopefully the IP is also new,rebuilt.
High flow injectors have no effect on pump.
Injectors have better burn by way of a fine spray injected at a higher Bar setting.
Flow is controled by IP that can be incresed by turning up pump,adding an Heath waste gate control.
Got gauges?

Barry Nave
08-15-2004, 03:01
Do DSG motors come with already installed Gear?
IP an OPT.?
New Turbo?
Are they just long blocks?
Dont mine if I ask,whats the cost of your new motor?

jackie g
08-15-2004, 09:04
DSG sent the longblock with the gears installed, they ran the motor before shipping with the oilfilter also intact.I installed my IP that was replaced less that 30k ago.DSG was the manufacturer but I found the engine on the web. (Top Gun Engines) There you can find a price list on engines with different options depending on how much you want to spend. I purchased what they call their gold series with high output waterpump and h/o injectors.Those items I installed myself.They offered a full dresses verstion but I never asked a price on that. I planned to use my old IP.