PDA

View Full Version : Droning Noise

j7l2
05-25-2006, 10:26
My 95 Chev TD has developed a droning noise that comes and goes. I cannot find any repeatability as to when it will begin or end. I can nothing loose or out of adjustment. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so what is the fix?
Thank you,
JimO

DennisG01
05-25-2006, 10:56
Could it be hole somewhere in the exhaust?

j7l2
05-25-2006, 12:52
No, definitely not exhaust noise. Also not a rattle type of noise either. I believe a similar noise was associated with the early 6.2 diesels, but I don't know what caused that either. I have checked most brackets for being tight and everything seems good.

Thanks,
JimO

Cowracer
05-25-2006, 13:24
JimO,

It's obvious to me that you have accidently installed my Mother-in-Law in your truck.

While I am more than willing to let sleeping dogs lie, my wife is getting rather concerned about her whereabouts.

Please return her at your convenience. I figure it should take about 7-1/2 months to un-install, crate up and get her on UPS. No need to hurry on my account. Air holes in the box are totally optional.

thanks
tim

Patrick m.
05-25-2006, 15:10
if you have the stock air box, it is possible that the snorkel has come loose from the inlet to the main housing. (the one between the fender and box)
I removed mine once to seee if it would provide any better flow, the result was the old loose 6.2L breather noise, just as you describe.

diesel65
05-25-2006, 17:44
Check your motor mounts !!!!
You will most likely see the engine sitting on the frame.

Hubert
05-25-2006, 19:11
JimO,

Noise descriptions are tough to help with online. What is your transmission? When it drones can you change pitch with throttle position?

When do you hear it on highway or all the time when it does it?

BobND
05-25-2006, 22:33
My 1994 had a noise that would come and go. I finally figured out a couple of the rubber "dogbone" exhaust hangers had hardened from age and use, and were vibrating on the pins they hang from.

I replaced them with new, nice soft rubber ones from the dealer, and the noise was gone.

j7l2
05-26-2006, 06:20
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out this weekend.

It is related more to load than to rpm. If you are on the highway pulling you don't hear it at all. However if you drop your speed and sort of coast it usually will make the noise. At low speed it usually will make the noise right after taking off. I know noises are very difficult to diagnose.

Regards,
JimO

BobND
05-26-2006, 08:09
That description is very similar to when mine made the noise.