PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch

maxdout
05-23-2006, 13:47
The last couple of days, intemittently, when I go to crank my truck, I turn the switch to cycle the glow plugs, then when I go to crank it, I get nothing on the first turn of the switch. Sometimes it hits on the second turn, sometimes it takes a few for it to make contact. I'm assuming this is the switch beginning to fail, but thought some of the experts here might have a different opinion. It seems to do this primarily when the truck has set for a while, when it's "cold", in the mornings or after work.

Thanks,

maxdout

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 14:00
More likely the starter motor relay. It's in the underhood fusebox.

maxdout
05-23-2006, 14:56
Thanks, I knew I could depend on you. That sounds like it might easy to replace. Anything I need to know before I jump into it? Can I get it at the parts store. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to working on vehicles, I can do pretty much whatever I want to, I just choose not to. But some things I do take care of myself.

Thanks for your quick reply.

By the way, I didn't mention it earlier, but it's on '02 2500 CC. Don't know if the year matters.

David "maxdout" Walker

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 15:53
Definately a DIY. You may be able to get it at the parts store. The dealer shouldn't be too bad, but don't hold me to that. There should be a number on it to cross over. They are hard to get out, so be very patient. There are pliers designed for removing them, but I've been able to get them out with gentle rocking/pulling. The starter relay should be the most inboard/rearward relay in the box, and is labled on the fusebox cover. It plugs in like a square signal flasher, only much more firmly.

After some checking.....
The relay is listed at Kragen online (http://www.partsamerica.com), and is $19.99. The part # on the relay is 12193614, and the # and picture showed correct. Kragen's part # is RY280. Autozone listed a "starter relay", but it was $6.99, had no picture, and no # to compare.

I know what truck you ment:D

maxdout
05-24-2006, 06:58
Thanks again, I checked out to see where it was before I left the office last night, then stopped by AutoZone and got one for $8.99. Since then, of course, it hasn't as much as hicupped. But I got it in the console just in case. That's a no-brainer. A $9, plug in fix. I love it.

Thanks for your help. I always search your posts when I have a tech question. And most all the questions have been asked on this forum.

David Walker