PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Bearings... what grease & how much?

SDWA
05-22-2006, 20:35
This entire topic of replacing the rear axle seals has come up so many times with so many questions about it, I'm thinking about documenting the process and starting a photo-journal of the entire procedure! Anyone that wants to host the pictures, let me know!

Anyway, at 115K miles, my drivers side has given out. I feel a little luckier than some, from what I've read to have gotten so far without it leaking!

The service manual makes no reference (that I can find) as to exactly how much grease to apply when re-installing the hub. In fact, I can't even tell from the manual or diagrams if the bearings will even come out of the hub after the spindle nut is removed. Maybe the entire assembly comes off as one piece. I guess I'll find out soon!

The manual does say apply "a light coat of high-melting point EP bearing lubricant" when reinstalling the hub. What exactly is a "light" coat? My plan is to clean the entire assembly in the parts washer, and then apply some Amsoil Heavy-Duty lithium grease to the bearings. Enough to fill the races and probably cover the surface of the bearing. Does this sound correct to anyone that's already gone through this process? Any other hints before I get started?

Thanks!

Scott

DmaxMaverick
05-22-2006, 21:26
You really need to be careful with the amount grease, and the type. The grease needs to be compatible with the lube you are putting in, and not too much. A non-compatible will react with the lube, and can leave you with non-lubricating goo. Too much will cause a dam, and prevent the lube from flowing into the hub. A light coat (not packed) of HD wheel bearing grease is all you need for the install. It only has to keep it lubed until the lube can flow into the hub.

Although some preach against it, I use the tilt method, with no grease. A rear lube job takes me about half a day. By the time I'm done, there's no doubt the hubs get well lubed. To drain, I jack up one side at and let it drain for an hour. I repeat for the other side. After I've done the drain, I'll fill the diff up to the hole, and jack one side up, about 18". Let it sit for an hour or more, then let it back down to level. Refill the diff (usually takes about a pint), then tilt to the other side for an hour or more. Lastly, top off the lube. The first time I did this, I removed both hubs to be sure the lube was getting into the hub. It was, without a doubt. Takes a long time to do it this way, but I always have other things to do in the meanwhile.

SDWA
05-23-2006, 08:22
I'm a little confused now; looking the the exploded parts diagram, it appears to me that the the seal, which is on the inward side of the inner wheel bearing, is supposed to prevent the axle lube from reaching the bearings... Maybe it'll make more sense once I get it apart.

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 08:53
The seal is OUTSIDE the axle housing. It keeps the lube (in most cases) from reaching the great outdoors. It's between the hub and brake backing plate.

JohnC
05-23-2006, 12:12
... I jack up one side at and let it drain for an hour. I repeat for the other side...

I think you can cut 2 hours off your time by omitting these steps. IIRC, there's a lip in the hub that prevents the oil from draining out of the hubs and back down the axle tube. If so, the only sure way to get the oil out of the hubs is to pull the axle flanges.

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 12:25
I think you can cut 2 hours off your time by omitting these steps. IIRC, there's a lip in the hub that prevents the oil from draining out of the hubs and back down the axle tube. If so, the only sure way to get the oil out of the hubs is to pull the axle flanges.

Maybe true, but irrelevant. I had the axles out after draining. Only residual lube was left. Perhaps my excessive lift overcame that.

SDWA
05-23-2006, 13:44
The seal is OUTSIDE the axle housing. It keeps the lube (in most cases) from reaching the great outdoors. It's between the hub and brake backing plate.

OK.. Now I get it. I'm still taking pictures for everyone else!

Will I need to order a new flange gasket, or do they come off in with the flange in one piece and are salvageable?

Thanks!

Scott

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 13:52
OK.. Now I get it. I'm still taking pictures for everyone else!

Will I need to order a new flange gasket, or do they come off in with the flange in one piece and are salvageable?

Thanks!

Scott

Flange gasket....Sometimes. Sometimes not. You won't know until you get it off. I abandoned them a long time ago. When replaced, they leak about half the time. I use RTV anymore. No leaks. Just be sure the RTV is compatible with the lube you use (same for the diff cover). If you use the wrong RTV, it'll turn into toothpaste. Ensure you torque the axle bolts correctly. If not, it can leak, work loose, and/or cause a bent/broken axle.