PDA

View Full Version : hard first starts

crjones1977
05-21-2006, 21:30
im very new to the diesel world,first thing in the morning my 1987 6.2l is hard to start. it has new glow plugs, proper voltage to controler. a small squirt or starting fluid and it starts. the glow plug light stays on for 25 to 30 sec. after starting. then its fine for the rest of the day. if it is really cold outside
(30-40) degres the glow plugs will come on. i would like to start it with out starting fluid, i've checked the grounds from battery, on the rear of the intake, and on the starter,anyone with any ideas, i would also like to add some simple power upgrade,intake, injectors, headers?anything to get it to go. i have had a hard time finding these things on the web
thanks
chuck

DmaxMaverick
05-21-2006, 22:02
Welcome to the Forums!

First off, glow plugs and ether (starting fluid) don't mix! From your description, it sounds like you have failed glow plugs. If not before you had to use ether, certainly after. You need to check each plug. Disconnect them, and check with an ohm meter or test light. Continuity usually means they are OK, and an open circuit means they are shot.

If you don't know what plugs you have installed, I suggest you replace all of them with a known good brand and model. If you stay with GM parts, get AC 60G plugs. Else, I suggest you go to www.kennedydiesel.com and get a set of Kennedy Quick Heats. The Quick Heats won't require any modification to a working controller. If you use 60G's, you'll probably have to modify your controller for a longer glow cycle. Unless you get ripped off by some swindler (like you'll find on Ebay, the dealer, or some independents), all glow plugs will cost about the same, around $10 each.

Once you confirm you have a healthy glow plug system, it should start easily. If not, it will be much easier to diagnose the issue.

In any case, stop using starting fluid unless it is absolutely necessary. If you must, be sure to remove power from the glow plug system.

john8662
05-21-2006, 22:07
60g's are preferred, and will outlast the QH's.

J

crjones1977
05-23-2006, 11:21
thank you for the info, it seems that the light on the dash will not come on, which leads me to believe there is no power going to the plugs themselves.
untill the truck starts,then the light will come on for about 30 sec or so, i have heard of people hard wiring the controler to make them manually come on, i have tried to connect 12 volts to the cold side of the controller, the light and system came on for a couple of seconds then blew the fuse(30amp), i put inbetween the power source and the switch.i replaced the fuse and they just kept blowing

DmaxMaverick
05-23-2006, 12:17
Bad controller.

You can either replace the controller, or replace with a manual glow system. The '87 had the desired controller (not yours, obviously), so replacement should give years of good service.

john8662
05-23-2006, 12:30
'85 started with the Electronic controller, IIRC is the same all the way to the 93 6.5's, nothing changed.

I agree with Dmax, the controller sounds as though it has failed. Sometimes the contacts are just worn down enough on the relay portion of the controller to not make contact, well, until the rattle of the engine enables them to after getting it started.

Another option is that the temp inhibit switch on the back of the engine may be failing, or have dirty electrical contacts, causing the controller to not turn on as well. This little switch is located on the passengers side of the engine on the rear head (next to the auto trans dipstick). You can bypass this by shorting the terminals with a short piece of wire, just for troubleshooting of course.

The A/C delco controller is a good one, there is also a USA made one floating around ebay that I've used with success.

crjones1977
05-25-2006, 21:23
thank you i will replace the controller and let you know how it works out, as far as the temp inhibit switch the is a block off plate on the rear of the pass side cyl head where it looks like one should go. it does not look aftermarket. i have read that the later 86 or 87 and up did not have it located in that place again thank for the info
chuck

john8662
05-25-2006, 23:04
Some had the inhibit switch, some didn't. I thought the same thing. My truck is an '86 and it has the inhibit switch (manufactured 04 86).

Just something to check on!

J