PDA

View Full Version : New heart for my sub

panchosteam
05-18-2006, 20:59
Hi guys, i just purchased a new heart for my suburban, i hope this is all it needs, red stanadyne tag model#2829 rpm?4723 patented j
serial# 6331678 mfg2350 3998 . Seller says it is a heavy duty pump, if it makes my suburban run fine again i'll be happy, and thank you dmaxmaverick for your response, i hope this is all that is going to take to make it come back to normal again, more to tell tomorrow.

1984 sierra classic pick up 6.5td
1986 6.2 suburban waiting for transplant?

john8662
05-19-2006, 09:09
I'm going to use the 4723 of the bunch of numbers you've supplied, this tells us what the application is. According the list found over on the content side here:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/pumplist.htm

The pump is for an 89 6.2 Heavy Duty. Or simply put, for an 89 non-egr 6.2L.

This will work on your Suburban, you will likely want to disable the EGR if equipped and upgrade to a J code intake as you'll be putting just a light amount more fuel in.

panchosteam
05-19-2006, 23:10
Hi John, i have bad news,today after changing the pump i saw no difference on how my sub runs, it sounds like an old pump that pulls water to the plants in the ranch! about a year back i bought a suburban with kind of like the same rough idle and i had to take it back to the seller,it used to shake so bad and he told me that the engine was rebuilt,i also noticed that it sucks too much air , temp seems to be normal,can't tell about oil pressure, gauge don't work, tried to get pressure switch with no luck,i guess if i change the injectors and no better result, last thing to do is compression test and then rebuild engine? it kind of sounds like air is coming off the moffler or something like that,i don't know what else to do.

1986 suburban 6.2

john8662
05-19-2006, 23:18
Don't know what the pump at the ranch sounds like, but I'm guessing it's not what a 6.2 should sound like.

It could be injectors.

Get the engine running and crack each injector line one by one to see which one makes the most or least difference in the way the engine runs.

Is it smoking, which side?

Is is popping in the intake?

If the engine runs the same after the IP change, at least you've got the IP narrowed out (well, sorta).

J

Robyn
05-20-2006, 08:16
Was this "New Pump" tested and proven to be a good one??
If the injectors are worn out all the new pumps in town will not make it run good.
The injector nozzles need to have the proper "pop" pressure as well as a good spray pattern.

If you pump is good then its a good bet the injectors are toast.

Robyn

panchosteam
05-20-2006, 10:45
Thank you guys, it sure is making some kind of noise from the intake,no smoke,only if i drive it will blow blue smoke and kind of no power,i'm going to try to find some injectors today and go and install them, how funny from running good to this problem i guess it didn't like the diesel from a different station,i cracked the lines when this problem happened (before pump replacement)they all made a diference on the engine,i'll do it again,the pump it's rebuilt by the same company that did my 6.5 pump,i hope that i have better luck today.

1986 chevy suburban 6.2

DmaxMaverick
05-20-2006, 10:56
Before you go any further, your last comment may have some bearing. Fuel quality. If you recently changed fuel sources, and all of a sudden, have issues, you need to confirm you have good fuel in the tank. You may have got a slug of contaminated fuel, be it organic, water, or even gasoline, any of which could cause your issue.

Try this.
Replace fuel filter. Remove the fuel line upstream from your primary filter, and install a long hose to it. Fill a 5 gal. fuel can with known good fuel, and run the fuel hose into it. Prime the system normally and try a run. The fuel return line will still return to the tank, so keep that in mind. You could plumb the return to the fuel can, but you should have nearly immediate results if it is a fuel issue. If it runs good on the fuel can, stop everything and get that bad fuel out of the tank, clean it, and get some good, fresh fuel in it.

What kind of noise are you getting from the intake? A N/A engine has a pretty noisy intake, especially if you have the EGR enabled.

panchosteam
05-20-2006, 13:09
Thank you dmaxmaverick,i'm going to do as sugested on the fuel,i also want to take the injectors incase that is not the problem,the noise of the intake is weird can't describe it,but it sounds like air scaping from somewhere, it also rattles,yesterday when i installed the pump i got it idling kind of fast,i'll check the adjustment on the pump,when i was doing the pump install,i was cranking the engine so i could get each bolt right on the spot for the gear that drives the pump,and i couldn't hear anything wrong with the engine,(cranked normal,no noises)that is way i tought about the injectors next, but before that i'll do the fuel thing. On the egr, i don't know if i have one on the sub,it has two hoses coming off the intake one on each side(left and right)so i don't know if it has the egr or not,the weird thing no smoke at idle and fluids seem normal.

1984 sierra classic 6.5 td
1986 chevy suburban

DmaxMaverick
05-20-2006, 13:49
If you have EGR, you will see a vacuum line going into the air intake, and a vacuum diaphram valve right in the middle of the intake plenum. The 2 hoses going to the sides of the intake are for the CDR.

If you find you have EGR.....
You can plug off the vacuum line going to the actuator. If you want to eliminate it completely, remove the actuator, and plug the holes with frost plugs, or fab a plate that can be bolted in its place. I normally don't support any elimination of emmissions systems, but it's been my experience on older vehicles, they don't work properly anymore, and are likely increasing the emmissions output. Cost of repairing the system, and the emmissions advantage do not add up.

panchosteam
06-01-2006, 20:48
The story continues: i have replaced the lift pump on my suburban after chaging the IP with out better results, so i went a head and replaced the lift pump also,it sure was bad(leveler was getting stuck) after that it runs about the same, rattles and smokes, i couldn't really see what color if blue or black,a mechanic that help me glue it together says it smells like oil, i took the injectors to have them tested and the guy says that 4 of them sprayed bad,they poped at 1750 psi,i also noticed that it sounds like air scaping out of somewhere,so i don't know what other thing i could do before considering the big operation, also after replacing the lift pump and IP,i noticed white smoke on acceleration of the driver's side, and on idle i guess it blows either black or blue,what shoul i do?.

1984 sierra classic pick up 6.5 td
1986 k20 suburban 6.2 with out a cure yet.