PDA

View Full Version : Squeak - Squeak

jlavin
05-16-2006, 14:06
I had been reading thru the threads looking for an answer to my squeak. Rolling slow, forward or reverse, Squeak - Squeak - Squeak, thought the worst but solved simply after reading a closed thread. I Raised my truck and sprayed some white lithium grease around the driveshaft at the transfer case output dust seal. All fixed! I guess the rubber against the slowly rusting shaft caused the squeak.

02 Silverado crew long bed 4X4 duramax

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2006, 14:13
I'd be a little concerned about that. If the seal is dry enough to squeak, it should have failed, especially if it is showing corrosion. The seal is below the fluid level, so if it's dry, something else is wrong. If lubricating that area eliminated a squeak, I'd suspect a failing/failed U-joint, or something else, not to eliminate a coincedent. You should have a 2-piece drive shaft. I'd suggest looking closer at the carrier and isolator.

jlavin
05-17-2006, 13:46
I have driven the truck for 2 days now and all seems fine so far. When I lubed the seal I did not lube the center bearing or the u-joint. Just the seal. The squeak went away but checking the fluid level is a good idea. As a matter of course I always check and eliminate the simple obvious things first. If that dosen't do it I move on to the more complicated. I did check the center bearing and u-joint for any play and they were fine. I have 70K mi to date. After I check the fluid and drive another couple of days I'll report back. Thanks for your input!

jlavin
06-15-2006, 14:19
It's been about a month of driving and all is quiet! I did check the shaft and the transfer case fluid. All OK! I hope you all have the good easy fix I did!

Have a good day.