PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 heads on 6.2 Questions

83Blzr62
05-15-2006, 14:25
What are the best year heads for power? Also I know I need 6.5l injector lines, but is there a certain kind I need or do they all fit? Does anyone here have any I could buy?
Thanks,
Kyle

john8662
05-15-2006, 14:44
6.5 heads will bolt to a 6.2 with no problems, even use the better 6.5 Felpro gaskets.

As for injector lines, the 6.5 lines will be a better deal, because you won't have to bend any 6.2 lines to compensate for the slightly different injector angle in the heads.

As for power, make sure that the heads have the Diamond <> logo precups, or look like the "T" cups on the fuel economy article on the content section of the site.

For NEW OEM quality 6.5 heads, call Peninsular, IIRC, they're around ~$500 each complete with valves ready to bolt on!

Of course, you can get reman heads from the other venders..

You best bet will be reman or new, not "good-used" heads off an engine, unless you're planning on a complete valve job, etc. etc.

More Power
05-15-2006, 14:47
Best heads for power, depends on whether or not you're running a turbocharger.

The new article on 6.2/6.5 Fuel Economy (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/65fueleconomy.htm) discusses the differences between heads designed for economy and power.

Visit Peninsular Engines (http://www.peninsularengine.com) for just about any parts you might need for these engines.

Jim

83Blzr62
05-16-2006, 14:38
I found some reman 6.5 heads for 400 for the pair. They are so cheap becasue the machine shop made them for a guy who ended up not buying them and they have sat for a few years. They have the two dot precups.

Could I buy the turbo precups and put them in with no problems?1

Also are there any 6.5 J code heads that would be better or they all the same?

Thanks,
Kyle

john8662
05-16-2006, 15:16
If the heads have not been shaved/sufaced you can replace the precups w/o too much trouble. It's when they have that things get more labor intensive. You have to shave the precup to fit the hole.

Anyways, 6.5's go by F and S, F being the non-egr version (equivalent to the J code 6.2).

Good deal for heads, sometimes you find stuff like that...