PDA

View Full Version : turbo options

MVDyken
05-10-2006, 15:45
I have a 94 chevy 6.5 the stock gm 4 turbo is shot what other turbos will work for the 6.5 I know fitting any thing else will not be easy I was thinking of the Banks 6.2 turbo or the cummins 5.9 turbo
any ideas

More Power
05-10-2006, 16:13
The right turbo sorta depends on your performance goals and driveability expectations.

The GM-series of wastegated turbos offer great driveability for most people, but tend to limit power for those who push the envelope.

Larger, non-wastegated turbos, like those offered by Peninsular have the highest power potential, but are somewhat smokey during light-duty driving - due to more turbo lag.

Jim

restoguy
05-11-2006, 11:37
I have been looking at other tubos for my '94 K2500. I am building an 18:1 engine for it and planning on upgrade the turbo too. I am looking at first generation powerstroke (kinda sacreligoius, I know) turbos as they have the right exhaust 'footprint'. It seems that some have tried these with good results. I too, would like to hear from anyone who has upgraded their turbo and what they thought about their decisions.

More Power
05-11-2006, 20:16
Back in the 90's, Gale Banks recommended his 7.3L wastegated turbo to me as a good choice for the 6.5. Since then, I've heard from a couple others who also agree. I haven't tried one, but....

Jim