PDA

View Full Version : PMD Replacement

MEdlin
08-10-2004, 18:15
Can the PMD be replaced on a stock 6.5TD F on a 94 Suburban by loosening and rotating the injector pump? I really don't want to remove the intake manifold again unless absolutely necessary.

CareyWeber
08-10-2004, 18:47
Originally posted by MEdlin:
Can the PMD be replaced on a stock 6.5TD F on a 94 Suburban by loosening and rotating the injector pump? I really don't want to remove the intake manifold again unless absolutely necessary. I don't think so.

Carey

charliepeterson
08-10-2004, 19:10
The job is alot easier with the Intake removed. If you mark the IP to the geartrain housing and then move it to the pass. side you can get it off. Personally I think I would leave it where it is and mount the new one on a "cool plate" in an easier location for next time.
The old PMD now becomes a spare if you get stuck on the road.

MEdlin
08-10-2004, 19:34
Charlie,

I just replaced my PMD earlier tonight. The old one is still mounted on the Injection Pump and has lasted for 71,000 miles. I mounted the new PMD on the top right site of the intake manifold. After a 10 mile test drive (engine at normal operating temp), the plate behind the new PMD was almost too hot to touch, as was the intake manifold. The side of the injector pump where the old PMD is mounted was MUCH cooler. I think I'd be better off moving the new PMD to the original location. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
08-11-2004, 03:54
Move it off of the engine.

The manifold temperature that you mentioned is another positive of air-air intercooling that will help longevity of your engine and FSD. With intercooling, intake temperatures are much lower and so are general underhood temperatures.

spra01
08-11-2004, 06:32
A tool can be made to allow you to remove and replace The PMD with the intake manifold on and without rotating the pump.
Cut off the working end of a torx bit and weld it onto a small piece of steel stock.
With mine it took me 10 to 15 minutes to install the PMD onto the pump. I have since relocated it to behind the bumper.

Marty Lau
08-11-2004, 08:59
I would either mount the PMD somewhere cool or put it back on the pump. The intake mount is an inferior install.(IMNHO)

charliepeterson
08-11-2004, 18:20
This little black box has two big drivers which make lots of heat. Just think what this extra heat can do to the IP.
I've had mine on the Intake Manifold for a little over five years and am on my second driver. The only reason for not moving it elsewhere the harness was never extended.
Back when these plates first came on the scene the discussion was all about the electronics and longer wires with unknown changes to the IP performance. I would have to say the extra length circuit makes no difference towards performance.