PDA

View Full Version : Dex Cool

Truckie117
05-01-2006, 19:17
Hey Guys
I would like to know about changing coolant is there anything to change to better than dexcool I have heard it is really corrosive. and the cause of raditator and water pump failours.
Thanks
Mike

More Power
05-01-2006, 21:54
Dex-Cool is only corrosive (especially to aluminum) when there is a longterm exposure to air inside an engine. GM did experience this problem in some of its 6-cyl engines a few years ago. I've yet to hear of an engine/cooling system corrosion problem in either the 6.5 or the Duramax. GM has used Dex since 1996.

I recommend Dex.... :)

Jim

Hubert
05-01-2006, 22:02
Nothing is necessarily wrong with "dexcool". Nothing lasts forever change it according to a good maintenance plan suited to the trucks use and it works fine. Dexcool doesn't like air pockets in cooling system and I suspect any of the newer stuff doesn't either. A good flush and refill from a high volume seller is a good idea.

Yeah there are other choices are out there. But flush the system really good if you change it to something other than dexcool or compatitable.

No indorsement but Evans cooling and Caterpillar's brand "dexcool" are some choices.