PDA

View Full Version : How much play if any on rear 3500 wheel bearings ?

cowboywildbill
05-01-2006, 11:36
Just put new rear rotors and seals on our 2002 3500 4x4. I left just a little play in the adjustment. I could have put the key in with no play, but I backed off one slot. I didn't have a manual and took a guess. Any one with the correct spects would be greatly appreciated. Also I took one of the axel nuts off on the front fwd, I put it back on, do I need to replace it? Since it was self locking. Or could I lock tight it? And how much tourque?
Thanks for you help.

DmaxMaverick
05-01-2006, 14:04
The bearing load and tightening procedure is very specific. Yours isn't correct. The precdure is tighten to X-torque, loosen, tighten hand tight and secure. This isn't the entire procedure, and the torque spec is omitted. The reason is, you really need the manual procedures to do it correctly. The procedure has changed since the original, so make sure you get the latest. The procedure can be found in the Helms manual (www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com)), or at alldata (www.alldatadiy.com (http://www.alldatadiy.com)). If you don't have a subscription to alldata, I strongly suggest anyone who is a DIY'er to get it. It will also be very helpful with your other issues.

cowboywildbill
05-02-2006, 07:57
Thanks for the reply. I stopped by a dealer and they printed me the page. One of the mechanics said that after doing the 52 ft lb pre load then and backing off and tightening finger tight, That it isn't uncommon to get just a little bearing play.1 thru 10 thousands of an inch. I am going to invest in a manual. Many years ago" I was a certified mechanic, I still have all of the tools,I should have a manual It just cost so much. But that is still cheaper than doing something wrong. Thanks again.

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2006, 08:04
Alldata costs $25 a year for the first vehicle, and $15 for any additional vehicles. The best value, IMO. It's up to date all the time. Unlike printed manuals which need supplementals, if you get them, to stay current. Check it out. You might be impressed.

cowboywildbill
05-02-2006, 08:14
Thanks, I'll go that route. and I won't get greasy prints on the pages that way. "Ha Ha" That is a much better deal than $200 for the manuals.

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2006, 09:34
Thanks, I'll go that route. and I won't get greasy prints on the pages that way. "Ha Ha" That is a much better deal than $200 for the manuals.

Hehe....
Greasy keyboard/mouse.....

You can print out the pages you need and get them greasy, too.