PDA

View Full Version : Front Reciever Hitch

dmaxmule
04-28-2006, 20:31
I've been wanting to add a front reciever hitch to my truck but I do not want to loose any cround clearance. I've looked thru past post and found that "glamisboy" made some modifications to a hitch to lift it up. He sent pics to "TxDoc" of the mods. I was wondering if either of you guys are still aound and have the pics or if anyone else has made these kind of modifications to a front reciever? Here is the past post I was talking about.

glamisboy
Contributor Join Date: Jul 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TXDOC--

I was told the same when I purchsed the hidden hitch (no cutting & hidden). After getting it home, struggling to install (because the "tabs" they welded on could have been a bit farther apart). I was disappointed with the ground clearance, it was very low, and I felt the reciever tube was a bit short. I took mine to a local hitch shop where they cut off the old tube and remounted a longer one to the top of the crosstube. Now mine comes through the airdam, nice and "hidden". I did have to make a small cut after the mod but I believe it was worth it. I will e-mail you pic's if interested.

In case you may be wondering why I didn't return it, it was because I paid $75 out the door. The hitch shop got me for another $75, but now it is truly a hidden hitch. They could easily make it this way from the beginning, who knows why they don't.

If I ran a front plate it would cover it up, but I don't so I don't have to worry. Yes, it's also a CA law to have a front plate.

Inspector
04-29-2006, 22:17
A long time ago when I pulled a trailer I used to keep it in a storage unit. Backing it into the unit was quite a challenge. What I did was to attach a reciever tube to the frame end on the passenger side of the old truck that I used to have. I didn't worry about the load on the hitch as all I did was put it into the unit but it was attached well. Having it attached to the passenger side of the frame allowed me to look down the side of the trailer while manuvering. I could put it anywhere without worrying about knocking into something. Of course a second set of eyes on the other side is adviseable. It worked for me.
Denny

BozDMAX
05-13-2006, 19:00
etrailer.com has a pretty good selection of front hitches and related accessories. They are located just west of St Louis on I-70.

Idle_Chatter
05-31-2006, 18:03
This one replaces the tow hook, but it's offset.

http://www.leedengineering.com/front.html